Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!

The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: One layer at a time. Part 1 BOOTS  (Read 2424 times)

Offline Scenic

• Master Outdoorsman
People ask all the time, what do I need for ice fishing?  So let's get ready for ice fishing...This is for outside or with a portable.   We always talk about what lure or presentation works best but let's start where it really matters...a comfortable fishing outing. 

So start at the most vulnerable place.  For me it is my feet.  For years I alway had a tough time keeping my feet warm.  It did not seem to matter what I wore, my feet were cold.   Then one day I was fishing with a guy who worked outside every day in brutal weather.  I notice he is wearing leather boots.  I asked him how he ever kept his feet warm. So he explained to me to get rid of the ole pack boots.  I listened to him and figured I had nothing to lose, except for  a couple hundred dollars, but I was going to give it a try. He said to buy them at least one size too big so they are not tight. 

Buy the tallest ones you can and make sure the tongue of the boot is solid at least 3/4 of the way up.  Buy the deepest lugs you can find because they keep your foot off the ice a bit more.   That is what he said worked and I was going to try it.  Turned out to be the best advice I ever got.   

I believe my first pair were a pair of Irish Setters with 600 or 800 grams of this stuff called thinsulate.   What is that some kind of space material ?  It did not matter. 

Now I wear a pair of Rock'ys with 2000 grams of insulation.  I put in them a space age sole liner and I have no idea what it is made of.  Then last year I went with the Clam liner socks with their extra heavy boot socks over them. 

What I like about the leather boots is the fact that you can wear them without all the bulk of a pack style boot.  They are waterproof if you spray them at least once or twice a year with either a boot spray or I use camp dry for water proofing.  Do not ever use the good ole "mink oil" as these new boots are impregnated with silicon and the mink oil actually takes that out of them. 

One of the other hints he shared with me is to warm those boots up.  He stated you pre-heat a thermos bottle to keep it warm all day...do the same with your boots.  So I use a heated boot warmer or even a hair dryer to preheat my boots each day.  Now my feet are warm all day long. 

What do you use to keep your feet warm?