Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!

The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: MN DNR Share your favorite venison recipe  (Read 3345 times)

Offline Outdoors Junkie

• MNO Director
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • AKA "Outdoors Junkie"

Calling all deer hunters. Share your favorite venison recipe with us for the chance to be featured on the DNR website, social media and other publications.

Recipes carry special meaning. Whether passed down generations, symbolic of your culture or newly created in your kitchen after trial and error, wild game recipes give hunters a chance to fully appreciate their harvest, share with friends and family and connect with nature on a deeper level.

This deer season, we invite you to share your favorite venison recipe with us for the chance to have it featured on the DNR website and other publications. Share the taste of your culture with hunters across the state and be inspired by the recipes of other hunters.

How to participate
It’s easy to share your venison recipe with the DNR. Click the button for a quick and easy online form where you can submit your recipe, a photo of the meal and even a background story if you’d like. Please submit your recipe by Thursday, Nov. 30, for the chance to be featured.

Click the following link to participate: https://www.dnr.state.mn.us/fishwildlife/wild-minnesota.html?utm_medium=email&utm_source=Braze&utm_campaign=RecipeExchange_202311&utm_content=button-venison

[attachment deleted by admin]
www.mnoutdoorsman.com
Voted #1 Outdoors Website in MN

Offline Steve-o

• Master Outdoorsman
Thanks for posting up.

Who doesn't love med-rare pan seared backstrap, but I really don't have a recipe that I use.  I just season 'em, fry 'em in oil, and deglaze the pan with whatever I have on hand:  cooking wine, red wine, boxed broth leftovers in the fridge.  I like to put a little dollop of black currant jelly and/or a spot of balsamic vinegar with the pan drippings - minced garlic, maybe a splash of soy sauce and 1 Tbsp butter to melt in at the end and no one complains.
 I've tried pan searing on the stove and then finishing in the oven, but don't have the timing down.  Unless you rotate the meat, it gets over-done on the side touching the pan.

There are many folks who have recipes that try to mask the taste of venison.  I say, "Why ruin it?"  I don't have enough time to work up the details for an official recipe before the deadline, but my second favorite thing to do is to take the whole sirloin roast and cook it using one of many "low and slow" Eye of Round Roast recipes you can find on the Google.  It makes for a special family dinner for those who love the taste of unadulterated venison.
« Last Edit: November 11/28/23, 04:14:10 PM by Steve-o »

Offline Outdoors Junkie

• MNO Director
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • AKA "Outdoors Junkie"
I stumbled upon this easy venison meatloaf recipe a couple years ago. I have made it at deer camp the past couple of years. Not sure how many years it takes to call it a tradition, but it will be if it isn't considered already.

Easy venison meatloaf

Ingredients:
1 lbs. of ground venison
1 egg
1 cup of water
1 box of cornbread or chicken stuffing mix
Optional ingredients for additional flavor: 1/4 cup chopped or diced onion and or green pepper. My dad doesn't like onions, so I leave this out at deer camp.

Directions: Preheat oven to 350 degrees and grease loaf pan

Thoroughly mix all the ingredients together listed above in a large mixing bowl. I use my hands. Then shape the mixture into a loaf and put it into the pan.

Here is an optional topping you can put on or not. Mix 6 Tbsp of brown sugar and 1/4 cup of ketchup in a small bowl. Coat the top of the loaf with the topping.

Bake for 45-60 minutes, until completely cooked. I usually make mashed potatoes and dark gravy to go along with this at deer camp.

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: November 11/28/23, 04:21:16 PM by Outdoors Junkie »
www.mnoutdoorsman.com
Voted #1 Outdoors Website in MN

Offline dakids

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • 2013 MNO Fishing Challenge Champ!
Anything that is free is worth saving up for.

Offline Pulleye16

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
MN most popular venison recipes is:

One part deer tag
One part boiling water

Mix together and enjoy a warm cup of tag soup!
2023 Boar's Big Deer Contest Winner

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2015 deer contest champ!!!
MN most popular venison recipes is:

One part deer tag
One part boiling water

Mix together and enjoy a warm cup of tag soup!
:rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: musta got thta recipe from boar!!!!!!! :rolleyes:

my favorite.....

1 neck, very well cleaned up....put water in a roaster till desired. put neck in, then add
onion, salt and pepper
1 packet of dry onion soup mix......iffin a huge neck add 2.
couple bay leaves
some garlic

bake at 350 till meat falls off the bone. usually around 4 hours.
take meat off bone
i usually cook ahead of time, let cool put in freezer.

reheat adding more water if desired. make gravy usung fliur mixed with flour and kitchen bouquet. serve over taters. :hubba: :hubba:

1 neck.......
2015 deer slayer!!!!!!!!!!

Offline Steve-o

• Master Outdoorsman
This was the article that started it all for me - cooking venison, that is.  It talked about how to prepare the various cuts and included some really good recipes.   :happy1:  Maybe some of you remember this article from December 1999.

Minnesota Conservation Volunteer Magazine:  The Sweet Taste of Success

Offline Boar

• Master Outdoorsman
  • VP of Entertainment!
Any part of usable meat, 1 part sausage mix of desired taste. done.
2019 GRAND MASTER BUCK CHAMPION!!
2021 ICE FISHING MASTER CHAMPION
78.50"

Offline Steve-o

• Master Outdoorsman
Any part of usable meat, 1 part sausage mix of desired taste. done.
You make it sound so easy!   ;D