Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!

The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: Fishing line  (Read 3828 times)

Offline Mickbear76

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
  • All Ways Style~Always Style
What is everybody's favorite type of fishing line for walleyes??

Offline guythathunts

• Master Outdoorsman
  • The brothers with my 2006 buck.
I have always been a fan of Berkley products. I like the 8lb or 6lb XL (extra limp). I like light line... the lighter the better! I do most of my walleye fishing in clear lakes so light line is a must. If I go to the river and am dealing with fast water and rocks I may adjust accordingly.
~ Greg
Find a bird Duke... find a bird... ROOSTER!!! BANG! Bring it here boy. GOOD BOY DUKE, GOOD BOY!!!

Offline Spinach

• Outdoorsman
  • Woodbury Mn
I like the all Berkely lines also, the Vanish is also a great line. My favorite is Berkely Fireline, but this year I'm trying the new Crystal.
MNO Fishing Reports
Voted #1 Outdoors Website in MN
Support MNO Sponsors
AKA "Spinach"

Offline buckshot

• Outdoorsman
I use primarily 6 pound Berkley XL in the low vis green for lake fishing(jigging, rigging or bobber fishin).   I use Berkley 10 pound XT on by trolling rods and bottom bouncer rods.
I like powerpro for river fishing whether it is casting cranks or jigging.
Walleyes come and walleyes go....but the memories last forever!!

Offline JohnWester

• Master Outdoorsman
  • Kabetogama, MN
i am sold on fireline crystal.  I use berkly vanish for my panfish rods.
If a gun kills people then I can blame a pen for my misspells?

IBOT# 286 big_fish_guy

Offline JD

• Master Outdoorsman
  • Andover
Fireline crystal for my jigging rigs and lindy rigs, mono leader.

Offline captkev

• Outdoorsman
  I have the Crystal on a few of my winter rods, but also side with the XL line of Berkley.  I do have a rod spooled with the XT just for giggles, but most of the time if I'm looking to go with a tougher line I reach for the rods with the PowerPro. I don't like the PowerPro or Fireline much durring the winter unless I'm in a heated area or if it's nice out. But summer time is a different ball game. I think the more I use these super lines the more I like them.

Not to Hijack this topic, but I have 2 new Muskie rods needing line this year... Any muskie pro's out there that have any sugestions?
I was told to try 80lb PowerPro...? Will it cast as good as mono? Not sure with those big baits, but on my light gear I find it to soak up too much water and don't reach out as far.
Kevin K. Winkler

Ice Team PowerStick

Offline JD

• Master Outdoorsman
  • Andover
I have PowerPro on my Muskie Rig and it works great, casts very well.
« Last Edit: May 05/02/07, 06:13:04 PM by Leech Angler »

Offline JackpineRob

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
I'm a Berkley guy also.  A long time ago I tried something called TriMax and I haven't spooled up with XL since.  Since that early copolymer (TriMax) Berkley has gone through a bunch of names and slightly different formulas.  Some you might be familiar with are Tournament, Premium, Sensation, and Sensithin.  All seem to be basically the same line.  In my book, it does everything XL does and does it better, with lower stretch.  These lines are smooth and seem to resist nicks as well as XT.

Unfortunately, they quit making the Sensation in photochromic (my favorite), but I was able to score a whole bunch of the stuff on the closeout tables at Fleet Farm - enough to last another year or two.

Offline Mayfly

• Master Outdoorsman
    • MNO
Berkely all the way my friends. I usually use the 6lb sensi-thin...or whatever it is called now. Been using that for years! I am going to look into tyhis crystal this year though....been hearing a lot of talk about it. Good for bobber rigs?

Offline JohnWester

• Master Outdoorsman
  • Kabetogama, MN
crystal not for bobbers.  I don't think the bobber stop will hold good on that line... strictly for trolloing jig bouncing I think.  that's why I have two spools, I use the berkly vanish for my boober line, will hold a stop string good.
If a gun kills people then I can blame a pen for my misspells?

IBOT# 286 big_fish_guy

Offline Mayfly

• Master Outdoorsman
    • MNO
crystal not for bobbers.  I don't think the bobber stop will hold good on that line... strictly for trolloing jig bouncing I think.  that's why I have two spools, I use the berkly vanish for my boober line, will hold a stop string good.

Thats what I was thinkning...

This is my line ;)

It used to be called sensi-thin. Used the vanish but did not convince me to change from what I already used. I do use vanish for my snells though.

Offline WoodChuck

• Master Outdoorsman
  • " Minnesota Outdoorsman supporter"
 ???  spooled 3 of the 5 rods i use in the boat with the new berkley fireline crystal in the 8 lb test and 3 lb diameter . so far the problem that i have been seeing is the line likes to twist ?  it is tied to a 10 lb mono backer and a small swivel ahead of the quick snap and a 2 ft mono leader . no problems with a slip knot and bobber at this point, maybe later as the knot gets broke in ? so far there are no real concerns with this product !!   ::fishing:: ::cheers::

woodchuck
"i am not the KING FISHER , nor the fisher of men , but i am a fisherman "    membership n. 141

Offline JD

• Master Outdoorsman
  • Andover
I have had no problems with twists.....how did you hold the spool that the line came on when you spooled it on your reel?  If it isn't spooled on with the line coming straight off with the spool spinning straight, you can have problems with twists. ???  Was that confusing?

Offline WoodChuck

• Master Outdoorsman
  • " Minnesota Outdoorsman supporter"
 ;D did not realy pay attention to the way it came of the spool ? to take care of the twist problem , i will troll the line behind the boat to straighten it out !

woodchuck
"i am not the KING FISHER , nor the fisher of men , but i am a fisherman "    membership n. 141

Offline iceman

• Master Outdoorsman
I'v been useing Trilene XL 6 lb test green low visibiliy with great results ..
no line twist ! been on the same spool for 1 year now guessing i will change it before opener but i don't know why..

The gater pole gets Power Pro 50 pound test every year weather it needs it or not
On a quite nite up north you can almost here the deer laughing

Offline Mayfly

• Master Outdoorsman
    • MNO
So I spent a little time today just looking around the fishing department and I stumbled across some new line...or at least I have not seen it before. It was Trilene Maxx. It seemed about the same as the Sensation that I have been using but according to the mumbo jumbo on the box it is better. I looked on the Berkley site and could not find this particular line which seemed odd. Anyone ever heard of it or used it??

Offline rchaze60

• Master Outdoorsman
I just bought me some of that berkley 6# test vanish and put it on the pole that i am going to use to catch some eyes

Offline JD

• Master Outdoorsman
  • Andover
I just bought me some of that berkley 6# test vanish and put it on the pole that i am going to use to catch some eyes
I used that line last year and was very happy with it.  I re-spooled a couple reels with it this year also.