Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!

The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: Steel casings  (Read 1971 times)

Offline Faceman

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
I am looking for some help here. I found some ammo for 30-06 made in Russia that have either steel or brass plated steel casings. They are dirt cheap and Brand named Golden Bear (brass plated steel) and Silver Bear (steel casing). Wondering if these would be ok to try out of an automatic. Remington 742 30-06. Would they work fine or cause damage or what. Any info would be great. Thank you.
Vegetarian: Old indian word for bad hunter.

Offline Benny

• Master Outdoorsman
Well the ammo is safe to shoot in the gun, but the american semi auto hunting rifles were and are built to tighter tolerances than the military type rifles those ammo makers from Russia are selling to.

The ammo may not cycle through your rifle causing major jams, it can also wear on the chamber bolt face.

I would reserve this ammo for the military style guns or an old beater you just want to shoot ammo through.

The cases are coated with a film as well to aid in the cycling of the round, and this can clog up a hunting rifles gas ports and the ejector system.

If you need some cheap blasting ammo look for the brass cased stuff coming from Spain,Argentina,Yugoslavia,Portagul, and the best stuff is the lake city ammo made here in the USA.

One last note, some of the surplus stuff was made for the machine guns and will be a little hotter round.
If your hunting rifle is an old model or is very valuble to you I suggest sticking with the more popular american made stuff designed for your rifle.

American ammunition, Winchester "white box" , or the cheap PMC ammo is good quality ammo to use with out causing the wallet to cry.

Benny
"What we have here is a failure to communicate"

Offline Faceman

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
Thank you Benny. That is what I thought but was curious.
Vegetarian: Old indian word for bad hunter.

Offline holdemtwice

• Master Outdoorsman
  • BURNSVILLE
also make sure it is noncorrosive  shot gun news  is agreat place to find old ammo as well!!!
member  # 569