Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!

The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: Eye Dominance  (Read 1908 times)

Offline murdock54

• Outdoorsman
  • Golden Retriever - Rio
I am a right handed shooter and left eye dominant. I recently read an articel online that suggested you should shoot the same as your dominant eye (right eye dominante=right handed shooter or left eye dominant=left handed shooter). Does anyone have an opinion on this matter? Would this have anything to do with my inability to hit any or the birds that I shot at last year?

-murdock
RIO! DUKE! BATMAN!   Lets go hunting!!

Offline Ryan

• Master Outdoorsman
    • Website Design
I use to do the same thing as you when I was younger.  Once I realized that my left eye was dominant I switched to shooting left handed and it made things a lot easier.  The only bad thing is trying to find a left handed gun.

Offline Joe

• Master Outdoorsman
    • Outdoors Weekly
I'm right handed and left eye dominant. If I had to do it over I might consider switching, but as it stands, I've got way too much time and money invested in equipment to change now. I can still knock down them pheasants and grouse and I shoot a couple deer every year with my bow. Personally I don't see any reason to switch, but it's your choice.

I think I could switch to a left handed bow without too much trouble, but I don't think I'd ever be able to get the feel for swinging a shot gun from my left side.

I'd also have to find new trees to stand in, because they are all trimmed for right handed shooters. ::hittingself::

Here's to a long life and a merry one.
A quick death and an easy one.
A pretty girl and an honest one.
A cold pint-- and another one!

Offline BearGuide

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
  • Castle Creek Outfitters - Northern MN Bear Guide
    • www.Castle-Creek-Outfitters.com
I had some contacts years ago that made my left eye become dominat (right handed).
I just kept up with sqinting the left eye to get the right eye back.  A correction to the lenses helped as well.  Maybe something to lessen your focus of your left eye will help?

Offline DaveO

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
It will help allot to shoot the same eye. However there are ways around it and still be a good shot.

One thing you can do is eye exercises that will strengthen your other eye. you can try to use a dot on your shooting glasses.  That will block out your strong eye and make you use your weaker eye.

You can also use a unidot or a easy hit bead on your gun..  (this is the one I chose)

You can still shoot right handed and use your left eye and be a good shot but the chances of being consistent are not the best,,,NOT saying it CANT be done.

Or you can just learn to shoot left handed,,,,but there is options anyhow.

Good luck and let us know if you need anymore help
Shut up and Shoot

Offline thunderpout

• Master Outdoorsman
Thats good advise Dave-o, a buddy of mine has that problem and has gone between squinting and putting scotch tape on the lens of his glasses.  You can also buy those trasparent dots to do the same thing, just a little better...the main thing is that ya figured out what is wrong and you can deal with it now!  Good luck!      -thunderpout 8)