Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!

The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: Outdoor tips and tricks  (Read 5528 times)

Offline LLtaxidermy

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
Thought it would be neat to see what kind of unconventional tools, tips, or tricks you all use in the field. Hunting, fishing, camping, skinning deer, cleaning fish, trapping, gun cleaning, knife sharpening etc. Anything you can think of.
Lee Ledford
Leland Ledford Taxidermy
507-990-5882

Offline JohnWester

• Master Outdoorsman
  • Kabetogama, MN
well, when I go hunting in Canada or camping in the BWCA... I always pack my clothes in gallon size zip lock bags.  then you squeeze the air out and seal it.  it takes up less room, and if you tip or canoe or get rainy weather, you'll always have dry clothes.  But packing them like this saves on space, which is the key thing.
If a gun kills people then I can blame a pen for my misspells?

IBOT# 286 big_fish_guy

Offline LLtaxidermy

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
Thanks John, another good camping tip is to pack dryer lint in your bag to help get a fire started, mix a little candle wax and sawdust in with it and it will burn plenty long enough to get a fire started. You can also dip the tip of matches in wax to waterproof them.
Lee Ledford
Leland Ledford Taxidermy
507-990-5882

Offline Realtree

• Master Outdoorsman
  • MNO Member #128
    • The "20" Rifle & Pistol Club and Straight River Archery Club

A buddy of mine was just telling me yesterday of a different way of removing the hide from a deer that another friend of his shared with him this year:

They make a cut around the base of the neck above the shoulder through the hide, finish the slit completely down the belly from field dressing, and up the inside of the legs as normal.

Then, they insert a golf ball under the hide at the neck and bunch the hide up around the golf ball now under the hide. Next, they take a smaller gauge chain and wrap around the golf ball on the outside of the hide and attach this to a tractor, truck or skid steer and pull the hide off this way.

I don't know that I would do it this way, especially if you want to save the hide for anything but they evidentally do all their deer this way.

Has anyone else heard of this or done it this way? I don't think the couple extra minutes it takes to pull and trim the hide by hand with a small knife is that bad...  :bambi:  :reporter;

The "20" Rifle & Pistol Club-Board Member
Straight River Archery Club-Board Member
Youth Archery Instructor
Archery enthusiast
Deer hunter
Coyote eradicator
Bow-fishing freshman

Offline HD

• Administrator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • #1 Judge (Retired)
    • Minnesota Outdoorsman
When we do processing at the shop, we do the same thing, only we have them hanging on a meat hook from the back of the neck, (after the head is removed) and we have a electric hoist that the chain runs through a clevis mounted on the floor. We hook up the hide the same way, around a ball, but we use the power of the hoist instead of a truck.
But, not everbody has a hoist at home, so a truck would work.
And we do more than just one or two, so it is a time saver!
« Last Edit: November 11/21/09, 10:16:59 AM by Hunterdown »
Mama always said, If you ain't got noth'in nice to say, don't say noth'in at all!

Offline LLtaxidermy

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
I've heard of guys also making a small incision and blowing air under the skin to loosen it from the body. Don't know how well it works but it sounds good.
Lee Ledford
Leland Ledford Taxidermy
507-990-5882

Offline Super Star!

• Master Outdoorsman
    • www.skinsandfinstaxidermy.com
For trapping i have to many to list...

other than that i think i do every thing close to perfect lol....... well maybe not but close.

Offline Realtree

• Master Outdoorsman
  • MNO Member #128
When we do processing at the bait store, we do the same thing, only we have them hanging on a meat hook from the back of the neck, and we have a electric hoist that the chain runs through a clevis mounted on the floor. We hook up the hide the same way, around a ball, but we use the power of the hoist instead of a truck.
But, not everbody has a hoist at home, so a truck would work.
And we do more than just one or two, so it is a time saver!

That makes sense!! I would be careful in doing this at home in the garage and pulling the roof rafters down with the skid steer.... :rotflmao:   :cry:   :bonk:
Youth Archery Instructor
Archery enthusiast
Deer hunter
Coyote eradicator
Bow-fishing freshman

Offline barebackjack

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
Now thatd be funnier than he#^ I could just see 4 guys standing around  :toast: wife pulls in to the driveway to that sight :help: :withstupid: :imstupid: Well honey, we were having a few beers and spinach thought...................
IBOT #197 Id rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal labotomy ~jigglestick

Offline Grute Man

• Master Outdoorsman
  • White Bear Lake
The first thing to pack in your back pack or even a day pack for hunting is not a compass or 1st aid kit.  They do need to be there but the FIRST thing to pack is a partial roll of toilet paper.

Just  remember, if you're out in the woods and need to use you TP and you think of me -- don't tell me.   ;D
If ya don't know where ya are, go back to da beginnin.

Offline Realtree

• Master Outdoorsman
  • MNO Member #128
The first thing to pack in your back pack or even a day pack for hunting is not a compass or 1st aid kit.  They do need to be there but the FIRST thing to pack is a partial roll of toilet paper.

Just  remember, if you're out in the woods and need to use you TP and you think of me -- don't tell me.   ;D

and make sure it is in a quart size zip lock bag to keep it dry...nothing worse than wet tp in your time of need!  :cry:
Youth Archery Instructor
Archery enthusiast
Deer hunter
Coyote eradicator
Bow-fishing freshman

Offline HD

• Administrator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • #1 Judge (Retired)
    • Minnesota Outdoorsman
Ya, but honey, some joker on MNO said it would work!

Oh, that's right, I'm the joker!  :rotflmao:
Mama always said, If you ain't got noth'in nice to say, don't say noth'in at all!