Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!

The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: Measuring fish!  (Read 4251 times)

Offline Spinach

• Outdoorsman
  • Woodbury Mn
I'd really like to see how some of you all measure your fish, I read reports on all different types of websites including MNO and just have to laugh at some of them.

I hear of guys catching Crappies on Chisago and saying they average 13" other reports from URL saying the Crappies are all 2 pounds and 15-16 inches. Others from Prior lake saying they are all 11" Crappies etc..... I could go on and on.

I have fished Chisago more than enough to know that the average Crappie is about 7-8 inches, if you sort through them enough you can keep a limit of 9-10 inch fish on a good day. The bigger fish do exist but they are very rare at most times of the year.

Upper Red Lake does have some huge Crappies, but it is rare to catch anything over 15 inches, most of the hundreds maybe thousands of fish that I have witnessed all fell between 13" and 14 1/4, still a beautiful slab at that size. I guarantee if you take 4 guys and keep 4 limits of Crappies on URL, most will fall into this range, a couple will push 14 3/4 and you are damn lucky if you get anything above. Back before the Crappie boom (95-98) was the only time that 15-16 inch fish were common. Each year after that made them harder to find.

To Whom it may concern:

The next time your out on the lake and catching fish, check youself with a tape measure and find out how ridiculous your guesstimates really are.

There is nothing wrong with catching 10" Crappies on a Lake like Chisago or 14" Crappies on URL, no need to stretch the truth in my opinion.

I honestly believe that the majority of people dont even take the time to measure a fish and they are just guessing, that is the only reason for this post. Try it some time and you may be surprised at your guess work.

This post is not directed at anyone in particular, just trying to reach out to a few people in this world is all.

Anyone else have an opinion or comment on this topic?

MNO Fishing Reports
Voted #1 Outdoors Website in MN
Support MNO Sponsors
AKA "Spinach"

Offline Super Star!

• Master Outdoorsman
    • www.skinsandfinstaxidermy.com
I think it all starts in middle school........................ :party1: :party1:     

Offline Lee Borgersen

• AKA "Smallmouthguide"
  • Pro-Staff
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • 2008-2011-2018-2019 2020 Fish Challenge Champ!
    • Lee's Lake Geneva Guide Service
Pat,

This is something has bugged me all my life when people have to BS about the size and quantities of their fish catches. Some do it out just out of being over excited about their catches, but many do it boast for more recognition.

The part that gets me is that I pride myself as a professional fishing guide on my policy of being honest about quantities & quality of our catches. Then some joker comes along and posts some BS reports.

There's a guy that fishes off the dock and he fishes almost daily. When I come off the lake with my clients after a successful trip. He start's telling them a whole line of BS about all the giant fishes he's caught and released that day fishing the dock. :bs:

I feel like kicking him into the water, but instead after my clients departed one day I approached him and told him to keep his big mouth shut with his BS stories and he was full of ****. Since then I have had no problems, but I would have rather pushed him in the lake.

The problem with the BS people is that there is always a percentage of those that believe them. Intern, this leaves people with higher than realistic expectations on their outings and they come home disappointed.

I've got one client that fishes with me regularly and knows that we practice catch and release on game fish. Anyhow he decided to bring his 12 yr old son one time. So, his son catches a nice smallie but far from trophy size and the boy keeps telling dad over & over he wants it mounted. Pops told the boy that we are doing catch and release only. The boy didn't buy off on that and wants it mounted. Now we've got a standoff.  :banghead: So dad explains that they could have a beautiful replica of the fish made and release the fish. The boy say's NO!

Well, Pop tells his son that we can release the fish and get a replica that's EVEN LARGER than his actual fish. YES! the son yelled out and over the side the fish went. :bonk:

Two lessons learned here:

What do you think they were???

All fishermen are liars except you and me, and to tell you the truth, I'm not so sure about you.
Good fishermen know that in talking about fishing, nothing is more interesting than the truth.
The fishing was so good I thought it was yesterday.
Proud Member of the CWCS.
http://www.cwcs.org

Member of Walleyes For Tomorrow.
www.walleyesfortomorrow.org

Many BWCA Reports
http://leeslakegenevaguideservice.com/boundry_%2712.htm

If you help someone when they're in trouble, they will remember you when they're in trouble again

Offline Spinach

• Outdoorsman
  • Woodbury Mn
I remember about 5 years ago we were coming home from a trip to Upper Red Lake, fishing was really slow for everyone on the lake and I think we only caught 6-7 Crappies between the 3 of us, it was -20 degrees and windy, we talked to several other groups on the lake and at Hillmans and Westwinds, the results were the same for everyone. Most groups were either skunked or had 1-2 fish per person tops.

My buddy called while we were driving home and asked how we did, one of the guys in the truck told him that we all got our limits and the fish were biting well, he went on to say how we threw a bunch back too. I ended up grabbing the phone and telling him the truth. Afther the call ended, the person in the truck asked me why i didn't go along with his story. I said for a couple of reasons..... That was a close friend of mine and he was debating if he should make the trip up the next day with his dad and I also don't want to be lied to from him in the future.

The main reason that I started this thread was actually because I really think most fisherman just guess at the length and weight of there fish, if they actually took the time to mesure there fish, they would be surprised at how far off they were.

Then there are the type that just have to lie about everything too.
MNO Fishing Reports
Voted #1 Outdoors Website in MN
Support MNO Sponsors
AKA "Spinach"

Offline tripnchip

• Master Outdoorsman
LOL, Always reduse the size of fish when being told a story unless you know the people. As fare as size of catch if the guy isn't willing go back the next day with you wellll, don't bother going there yourself. For me it is the guy you know has fished the same spot for three days and says he didn't get anything. Now i would be tempted to take a look at that lake.

Offline rchaze60

• Master Outdoorsman
well i know for a fact that I did catch a 11" crappie out of prior cause  there was a fish ruler  there and it did measure 11" from nose to tail I dont have no reason to guess at the measurement when there is a ruler tacked on the wall for us to use just my 2 cents worth