Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!

The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: Anyone into maple syruping?  (Read 4596 times)

Offline IsItFriday

• Outdoorsman
I was just checking or wondering if any of the fellow outdoorsman are into maple syruping. It has the perfect timing. No hunting or fishing that can be done and it takes place outdoors. Then the bonus it taste great. Pure maple syrup has so many uses. Please indulge on your uses.  :party1: Thanks for reading and replying
Fishing and hunting besides God and my kids, nothing is better.

Offline kenhuntin

• Master Outdoorsman
  • FISH CHAMP#1 2010#10 2009#4 2008 colapsed 2011
I love the stuff the kids do as well however the Wife has to have the the kind bought in the store with the preservatives. Do you make it? I need a new supplier.
A gun owner is a citizen
Those without are subjects

Offline DIRTBALL2

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
I've made maple syrup in the past. The only caveat I can think of is the fact that doing so is very time consuming and labor intensive. However, the end result makes it worthwhile. First of all, the gathering of the sap. It takes 40 gallon's of sap to end up with 1 gallon of finished product. Then there's all the time it takes to boil down the sap. You need to tend it nearly constantly, making sure it reach's a constant temperature range for extracting the syrup. You need to use one of those floating type thermometer's like the one's used for candy making. Once you have it boiled down to the proper stage the last thing you need to do is run it through the filtering process. To do this you use a large funnel type filter that is made out of felt. And when you are finally finished with all this work, you get to enjoy the fruit's of your labor. I like to go down to Sebastian Joe's Ice Cream Cafe in Uptown and get some of their premium vanilla ice cream and pour the maple syrup over it. Ohmygawd for scrumptious! To kick it up a notch, take a tablespoon with a small amount of sugar in it. Then fill the tablespoon with brandy. Light the brandy on fire and while it's still burning, pour it over the maple syrup you just put on the ice cream. It is Ohmygawd all the way fantastic! Bon appetit'! ;D  :taz: DIRTBALL2 ;)
"You can't BS an old BS'er"

Offline Tami

• Master Outdoorsman
  • NorthernGal --Voted #1 Outdoors Website in MN
I do I do
Infact i was just cleaning my pouts, today and putting them into buckets, for when the day time warms up and night gets cold, soon i tell ya soon the maple will be running...
I love it, the only thing i hate is the cook down, so much maple and so little syrup lol..
Just a few months... yay
the hurrier I go, the behinder I get
Best place for Bait.....Babes Bait... Babe's is locally known as “the best little bait shop in Ely”. Tackle and Fresh Bait

Offline IsItFriday

• Outdoorsman
Where is your sugar bush at in MN. The days are getting longer and soon the sap will be flowing
Fishing and hunting besides God and my kids, nothing is better.

Offline Tami

• Master Outdoorsman
  • NorthernGal --Voted #1 Outdoors Website in MN
On family land in Lily Wisconsin..
the hurrier I go, the behinder I get
Best place for Bait.....Babes Bait... Babe's is locally known as “the best little bait shop in Ely”. Tackle and Fresh Bait