Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!

The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: Pak Shak ice house review  (Read 4057 times)

Offline lazer224

• Outdoorsman
Last week I purchased a single person Pak Shak. I bought it for the purpose of early ice when you're basically walking out and late season when the temps are nice and your fishing outside most of the day and want something to get out of the wind or to sight fish. There are times I don't want to pull my 3 man flip over out and this seemed to fit the bill.These retail for around 99.00 but can be had for 69.00, which is what I paid for mine. As you can see, everything I need fits into a small plastic sled and is very easy to pull around. It comes in a back pack case, which could be carried over the shoulder.

It sets up easy, and although the fishable space is small, A depth finder and a small heater or lantern works fine. There is one window, which can be shut for sight fishing and two pockets for gear. I actually put one of my rods in the pocket which was nice as you can't bring your whole rod case in.

The day I tried it out there was a moderate wind, when set up with the wind at your back, it was fine. The single mantle lantern seemed to provide enough heat although the temp. was in the 20's. There was also enough room to fish a longer rod, which is important.
All in all I thought it was worth 69.00 but we'll see as I use it more. One other nice thing is it will store alot easier than my flip over houses. I hope this helps anyone considering a purchase.
Bill

Offline Ryan

• Master Outdoorsman
    • Website Design
That seems like a pretty reasonable price for something like that.  Is it fairly easy to setup?

Offline lazer224

• Outdoorsman
Very easy. It's just a nylon camp chair that unfolds and the house, which is attached, flips over. Probably takes a minute.
Bill

Offline Super Star!

• Master Outdoorsman
    • www.skinsandfinstaxidermy.com
is there room for a heater?? :coffee:

Offline Cody Gruchow

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2016 Mno rockbass challenge champion
i almost bought one of these today but they arent on sale anywere thay i have seen. gander mountian in eden praire has only 2 left and it talkes less than a minute to set up...very nice...they are also having a HUGE sale on most of the firearms...

Offline lazer224

• Outdoorsman
The Gander in Forest Lake is where I bought mine. They were on sale for 69.00 last week. They had about 5 left.  I don't think a mister heater would fit but maybe one of those old Colman focus 5 or a Focus 3 would. You can still get them on Ebay but be prepared for sticker shock. Those old Focus 5's go for over 100.00!!
Bill

Offline Mayfly

• Master Outdoorsman
    • MNO
What a great review! Got anything else new this year you want to write a review about?? Thanks for thr good info!

Offline lazer224

• Outdoorsman
hmmmmmm...That gives me an excuse to go buy some  more new stuff!!

Offline Mayfly

• Master Outdoorsman
    • MNO
hmmmmmm...That gives me an excuse to go buy some  more new stuff!!

It will sound like this....."Yes Honey, I do need this new Ice House and Auger! The guys and gals at MNO are expecting a review! It is my new job! Look on the bright side, we can write it off at the end of the year!"

:whistling:

Offline rchaze60

• Master Outdoorsman
thanks for the review. :happy1: :happy1: :happy1: :happy1:

Offline repoman

• Master Outdoorsman
  • take the shot
i think those pak shaks are pretty good all you need if your going out solo  :happy1:

Offline Wild Willie

Two questions: How old is that great looking Brit? Do you like the way the way the ReadyRig power head cover works?

Offline lazer224

• Outdoorsman
The Brit is 10 going on 11 this summer. She did great in South Dakota this year but she is slowing down a little. She's been a great woodcock/ grouse dog and is awsome on pheasants, shartail, huns and prarie chicken. I'm still debating weather to take to Arizona next year for quail. I wanted to get her on those birds before shes too old, but thats pretty tough country.
I really like the cover for the auger. goes on quick. Keeps it out of the elements when it rides on the ATV and keeps everything clean when it's laying on top, like the pic shows.

Offline Randy Kaar

• Master Outdoorsman
  • Randy aka bh
nice looking dog! i had a brit but that dog saw any bird
in the park across the street and she was gone!
when i move north i will get another.

randy aka bh

ps i had to have her put down due to cancer,
she was a good dog with kids.
Voted #1 Outdoors Website in MN ( www.mnoutdoorsman.com )!
bonehead149@yahoo.com
bonehead@mnoutdoorsman.com

Offline ra56120

my buddy bought a pak shack 3 from gander with some gift cards he had it was $100 and is the same design as the one man but is for 3 (2 comfortably) we just had it out today and i was very impressed for the money. brought the small heater with and it heated up quick and kept the heat in. very roomy. and also very nice because it comes with a bag that has a shoulder strap so you can throw it over your shoulder to move spots. very easy to set up and supriseingly very easy to get back in the bag. i give it an 8 out of 10

Offline Joe

• Master Outdoorsman
    • Outdoors Weekly
I heard a rumor that the Pak Shack is on sale for $50 at Gander. I'm sure their going fast.
Here's to a long life and a merry one.
A quick death and an easy one.
A pretty girl and an honest one.
A cold pint-- and another one!

Offline Cody Gruchow

• Master Outdoorsman
acually there on sale for 29.99 at gandermountian in eden praire. finally coouldnt ignore the price and bought myself one. they are nice.

Offline Joe

• Master Outdoorsman
    • Outdoors Weekly
I had heard that, but I also heard they were priced wrong and only sold for that price for the one day. Got yourself a heck of a deal.  :toast:
Here's to a long life and a merry one.
A quick death and an easy one.
A pretty girl and an honest one.
A cold pint-- and another one!

Offline Cody Gruchow

• Master Outdoorsman
well i thought it was strange it showed up on register as 49.99 but the sign said 29.99 so they honored the sign. well it was the last one anyways except the dirty dusty one on display :happy1: