Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!

The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: first time river fishing  (Read 3152 times)

Offline mcafferty

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
I am going to red wing to try out some river fishing with a friend.  I normally ice fish and am more of a hunter so boat/river fishing is new to me.  what test line, bait, hooks, leaders, bobbers, etc.  I know nothing about it so if you could help me out that would be great.  links and pics would be also helpful don't know what all the names of the stuff is.  Thanks for the help.

Offline Woody

• Master Outdoorsman
Well it's been many moons since I fished a river.  But "back in the day", I followed my grandfathers advice and used:

6-8# test line to a 3 way swivel
12# test from swivel to a weight
6-8# test from swivel to lure or plain hook (baited)

I don't recall the size weight we used, or even the style now.  But I'm pretty sure you could use just about anything.  If I were to start up river fishing again I'd probably go with a walking style sinker or Lindy's No-Snagg sinker. 

I've seen people use a line counter reel with lead core line and drag a rapala behind while trolling on the river.  Some will use the same only with a 3 way swivel behind as well.  Alot of it will depend on the current strength, time of year, structure, anchored, trolling, drifting, shore fishing.  I hope this gives you some insight.  Hopefully someone who has more knowledge of river fishing will give you more details than this.  It's been at least 22-23 years since I hit the river fishing!  Good luck!
The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not. ~Thomas Jefferson

Got Freedom? Thank a Vet!!!
www.fawkinnae.com
www.atijigs.com

Offline mcafferty

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
that helps a lot. thanks for the info.  i hope i do ok this morning.

Offline Cody Gruchow

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2016 Mno rockbass challenge champion
what fish are you hoping to catch? the way i do it is i use a no-snag sliding weight inbetween 2 swivels then at the other end of the swivel you can have from 2 feet of line up to whatever type depth you want your bait to float....use a floating jig as your hook.

Offline Loren Waalkens

• Outdoorsman
One of the best ways to put some fish in the boat right now is to slowly pull plastics such as ringworms, paddletails, ect.. upstream using your trolling motor. The fish have been in 16 to 20 FOW so the ideal jig weights have been 1/4 and 5/16 oz. I like to use 6lb Trileen solar. As runoff increases and water clarity decreases there should be a good 3 way stick bait bite in the next couple of weeks. The conditions will change quickly in the next few weeks as will technics and prefered depths. Good luck.

Loren Waalkens

Offline OUTDOOR AUTHORITY

• Outdoorsman
if you are looking to just catch some smaller walleyes and sauger, get some 8 or 10 pound line 3/8 oz gold or blaze orange jig and  a fat head minnow. go to the dam and fish 40 feet of water.  they catch fish every day there.  you will know you are there when there 20 boats stacked up next to each other.  you will catch fish. have fun
o lord may i see the day that i catch all the one that got away