Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!

The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: Poachers make it hard for everyone  (Read 2705 times)

Offline Halversons on Crow Lake

• Outdoorsman
    • www.halversonsoncrowlake.com
As a guide and outfitter my livelihood depends on the natural resources of North Western Ontario. Today I was witness to an investigation by the Natural Resources Office of Ontario that saddened and frustrated me to no end. Regulations are in place because the powers that be have decided that these are the rules that need to be in place to sustain the fishery. There are times when myself as a guide question the validity of the regulation. Yet whether I agree or disagree I follow the law. Not because I am a saint or this perfect law abiding citizen, it is because I have to trust the laws in place will protect the resource that I am so dependent on. The picture that accompanies this post is of MNR Officer Matt Brooks investigating the illegal retention of oversize lake trout and the waste of kept and not cleaned fish. This occurred at a lodge in our area and the owners there made the tough decision to report the violations. This was not a mistake or misread interpretations of the fishing regulations but an outright violation of Ontario’s Regulations. I went home and was really grateful that was not a decision or circumstance I had been put in. I later phoned him and assured him he had done the right thing. Ninety Nine Percent of fishermen/women are great outdoorsmen, only the last one percent would disagree. I guess this is really just a reminder to all to report a poacher and be vigilant of the resource we love.

[attachment deleted by admin]
Halverson's located on Crow Lake & Lake of the Woods, Nestor Falls, Ontario, Canada.  Open year round with light housekeeping cabins & guide service.  Check out our website:  www.halversonsoncrowlake.com

Offline Randy Kaar

• Master Outdoorsman
  • Randy aka bh
what a shame! what happens to the poachers?

thanks for the report. 

randy aka bh
Voted #1 Outdoors Website in MN ( www.mnoutdoorsman.com )!
bonehead149@yahoo.com
bonehead@mnoutdoorsman.com

Offline UncleDave

• Master Outdoorsman
Sad.  I disagree though that only one percent take over limits, slot fish, fish out of season, etc.  I hear people all of the time who consider themselves outdoor enthusists and law abiding outdoorsman who almost brag about cheating the system and overharvesting.  I can honestly say I have never taken a fish that I wasn't supposed to take.  As forementioned I'm not a saint and I disagree with some of the logic behind some of the laws, but I respect them and I will nver break one intentionally or allow anyone in my boat to either.  I feel better now.  Whew.   :rocker;

Offline HD

• Administrator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • #1 Judge (Retired)
    • Minnesota Outdoorsman
I'm dis-heartend as well, that stuff has no excuse.

Do you know how many fish over and how many people were involved?
Were the poachers from the states?

Hunter
Mama always said, If you ain't got noth'in nice to say, don't say noth'in at all!

Offline kenhuntin

• Master Outdoorsman
  • FISH CHAMP#1 2010#10 2009#4 2008 colapsed 2011
How many fish are involved in this?
A gun owner is a citizen
Those without are subjects

Offline Halversons on Crow Lake

• Outdoorsman
    • www.halversonsoncrowlake.com
Just to try to answer some of the replies. There were eight large trout involved and many perch. The guests were not canadians but regardless this makes the crime no more serious or less serious. As far as what will happen to them we are waiting to hear and I will let you all know the outcome.
Halverson's located on Crow Lake & Lake of the Woods, Nestor Falls, Ontario, Canada.  Open year round with light housekeeping cabins & guide service.  Check out our website:  www.halversonsoncrowlake.com

Offline Cody Gruchow

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2016 Mno rockbass challenge champion
people like that  :censored: me off. i have never broke any of the laws as much as i really dont like them i still have to obey them. but there was a couple times were the lake was catch and release norherns from 24-32 inchs and one swallowed the hook and i when i was fighting it, he buryed himself into the weeds and it took about 10 minutes to get him in i looked at the hook then swore then cut the line but he was so tired out he just floated and after about 15 minutes of trying to revive him he just went belly up, so i picked him out of the water and called the DNR and told them what happened a CO came out to check and he gave me the ok to keep him  he was a 31inch northern and i felt bad i even offered it to the CO to take because i really didnt want it, but i took it home cleaned it and ate it. lol :drinking: