Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!

The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: Mosquito Magnet (LP based) Advice and Experience  (Read 4522 times)

Offline ThunderCAT

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
In the 5 years we've lived in the area we currently reside, I have NEVER experienced mosquitos like we have this year. They are so bad that we literally are chased inside of our house...and we are an outdoors family. Seriously so bad. I've tried Cutter fog, citronella candles AND spray, and we still couldn't stay out last night. So I am fed up, and want to look at buying one of those LP based Mosquito Magnet machines.

Does anyone have any experience with these? Any recommendations regarding models, reliability, funcitionality and effectiveness, etc? Our yard is rather small - I think our total lot size is less than 1/2 acre.

Thanks in advance for any help or advice.

Offline Ryan

• Master Outdoorsman
    • Website Design
I know my parents were thinking about getting one.  I guess the one they were looking at was $500, but it works very well.  I have even noticed a lot of mosquitos here in Shakopee and they have never really been a problem in the past.

Offline Cody Gruchow

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2016 Mno rockbass challenge champion
tryed to have a bon-fire at my place last night with some buddys but we ended up putting it out because the mosquitos were the worst. even when i was shooting sporting clays they were bad attacking us in 80 degree weather in the sunshine. they SUCK!

Offline Spinach

• Outdoorsman
  • Woodbury Mn
Thats so weird, this is the best year i have ever seen for having no mosquitos. I have only seen 1 mosquito so far in my yard. last night i took the dog for a 2 mile walk around 8pm and didn't have any mosquitos at all. Weird......

We sold our house last december and lived about 100 yards off the lake and had tons of mosquitos every year, my new place is about a half mile from the lake and no mosquitos yet.

East metro.... Woodbury
MNO Fishing Reports
Voted #1 Outdoors Website in MN
Support MNO Sponsors
AKA "Spinach"

Offline Cody Gruchow

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2016 Mno rockbass challenge champion
aint fair.... wanna trade my mosquitos for yours?  :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

Offline The General

• MNO Staff
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • Smackdown King
Yeah, I have only seen 1 mosquito this year so far.
Eastwood v. Wayne Challenge Winner 2011

The Boogie Man may check his closet for John Wayne but John Wayne checks under his bed for Clint Eastwood

Offline ThunderCAT

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
It's so bad area my area that a lot of people in my neighborhood have complained to the county because they haven' sprayed yet. Our evenings are now spent inside looking at the deck rather than sitting on it. At least the deck looks nice (refinished it this year and built a bench for it).

I just bought some Off 40% Deet Woodsman spray. I'd bath in straight Deet if I could just to keep the dang mosquitos away. I hate those little  :censored:

Offline Randy Kaar

• Master Outdoorsman
  • Randy aka bh
i havent tried this yet but many swear by it! put listerine
mouth wash in a spray bottle and spray your deck area.
worth a try.. 
here in st paul they arent to bad, was in red wing last
week and got eaten alive!

randy aka bh
Voted #1 Outdoors Website in MN ( www.mnoutdoorsman.com )!
bonehead149@yahoo.com
bonehead@mnoutdoorsman.com

Offline CampY-Buttercup

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
Jewel and I are going to try the listerine theory at our cabin.  We will report back with our findings.  My friend bought his parents a mosquito magnet a few years ago.  They live on the Crow Wing River and they swear that its the greatest thing since sliced bread.  Everytime I was at their house I didn't notice any less mosquitos but they still thought it was working great.

Offline ThunderCAT

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
I have heard the Listerine theory too, but never tried it. Does the alcohol in it kill the grass?

Regular Listerine, or flavored?  :bonk:

Offline Randy Kaar

• Master Outdoorsman
  • Randy aka bh
the origional or regular i would think, be interested to see
if it really works!

randy aka bh
bonehead149@yahoo.com

Offline kenhuntin

• Master Outdoorsman
  • FISH CHAMP#1 2010#10 2009#4 2008 colapsed 2011
DO NOT buy the corded mosquito magnet. They are a hassle to use and if the propane runs out and you do not shut it down the machine will burn out and it is an expensive repair.
A gun owner is a citizen
Those without are subjects

Offline GirlGuide

• Master Outdoorsman
  • (aka ~gg)
I got this in an email the other day, I dont know if there is any truth to it or  not:

I was at a deck party awhile back, and the bugs were having a ball biting everyone. A man at the party sprayed the lawn and deck floor with Listerine, and the little demons disappeared. The next year I filled a 4-ounce spray bottle and used it around my seat whenever I saw mosquitoes. And voila! That worked as well. It worked at a picnic where we sprayed the area around the food table, the children’s swing area, and the standing water nearby. ——————

OUR FRIEND’S COMMENTS:
I tried this on my deck and around all of my doors.
It works - in fact, it killed them instantly. I bought my bottle from Target and it cost me $1.89.
It really doesn’t take much, and it is a big bottle, too; so it is not as expensive to use as the can of spray you buy that doesn’t last 30 minutes.

So, try this, please. It will last a couple of days. Don’t spray directly on a wood door (like your front door), but spray around the frame. Spray around the window frames, and even inside the dog house.

TRY THIS LINK, IT GIVE'S MORE INFO ON RESULTS FROM PEOPLE THAT HAVE TRIED IT:

http://urbanlegends.about.com/od/medical/a/listerine.htm

« Last Edit: June 06/10/08, 09:54:40 AM by GirlGuide »

Offline Randy Kaar

• Master Outdoorsman
  • Randy aka bh
i think your Mom sent me that one a while back! thats
where i remembered it from.

randy aka bh
bonehead149@yahoo.com

Offline ThunderCAT

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
Makes sense to me...I know that after I rinse my mouth out with Listerine or something similar I don't really want to eat anything either!  :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :party1: :party1: :bonk: :bonk:

Offline thunderpout

• Master Outdoorsman
A guy at work here bought a mosquito magnet on e-bay and says its awesome... he lives on a lake and across a road is a huge swamp...... no pesky blood suckin varmints.  The skeeters are eating us alive right at sunset in New Brighton... lots of water and woods around though....

Offline UncleDave

• Master Outdoorsman

Offline thunderpout

• Master Outdoorsman
Theres a few different kinds out there, but they're a mosquito catcher/killer, I believe most are propane powered and they give off Co2 or some, a pheremone attractant to lead them critters to their doom.... I myself still choose to fend em off by hand to hand(wing?) combat cause they arent cheap... they do work though... I did hear the models they sell here dont work in Florida as the skeeters down there are a different strain and arent attracted to the Magnets.... or at least some of them anyway....