Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!

The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: crappies not bitting what i'm I doing wrong?  (Read 2893 times)

Offline 101PROOF

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
I have been fishing green lake this month. I see fish on the vexilar but can not get them to bite.
Every fish I have hooked are keepers but on average it's one fish per trip.

I have tryed every color hook I have, and differant types of bait.
I did talk to other fisherman on the lake and they say the same thing.

Any suggestions?

Offline JCAMERON

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
  • "Johnny Camo Jr."
Sometimes when they're real finicky like that its good to try just a plain hook and your bait. Keep the presentation to a minimum and try all different kinds of bait. I would use two rods - jig one and let the other one sit, with every set up you try. If that doesn't work there's always dynamite.
"Superior... never gives up her dead when the gales of November come early."

Offline MnMoose

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
I'm no expert bud, I personally hate that lake, however to get some numbers, do what your doing..  change your jig, presentation , and depth up.  Also what I found that works, is get a "fail safe" jig, one your confident will catch fish, if that doesn't produce for ya, move around, till you find the biting fish, or fish later times...and well sometimes your gonna go home with a lotta hard work put in and a bucket full of frustrations...be patient, you'll figure it out.

Offline kingfisher1

• Master Outdoorsman
I haven't fished green in a while, but here's a few suggestions that I will make.  First, have a variety of baits with you, both liv and artificial.  Have, at minimum, eurolarvae and crappie minnows.  What I have been having luck on so far this winter is a diamond jog tipped with a minnow.  Also, when you are in a school of crappies, try putting a minnow down one hole and a grub/eurolarvae down another hole.  I've also had luck with teardrop style jigs, in purple and glow in the dark.  I'd also try colors like pink, brown, and green.  When you find out what bait they want, you an go from there.  Also, try lightly jigging the bait.  By lightly I mean only an inch or two.  Just enough to get the bait to move.  Hopefully, this will get you in the right direction.
walleyes, pannies, esox, cats, I don't care, let's go fishing!!

Offline HD

• Administrator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • #1 Judge (Retired)
    • Minnesota Outdoorsman
When fish got a case of lock jaw, I generally downsize my bait.
Going with the smallest stuff that I have in my tackle box.

Hunter
Mama always said, If you ain't got noth'in nice to say, don't say noth'in at all!

Offline kingfisher1

• Master Outdoorsman

Hunter

very true.  I love starting out with a size 10 diamond jig and one of the smallest minnows I can grab.
walleyes, pannies, esox, cats, I don't care, let's go fishing!!

Offline sandmannd

• Master Outdoorsman
    • Chasin' Tail Fishin
I have been fishing green lake this month. I see fish on the vexilar but can not get them to bite.
Every fish I have hooked are keepers but on average it's one fish per trip.

I have tryed every color hook I have, and differant types of bait.
I did talk to other fisherman on the lake and they say the same thing.

Any suggestions?

Where abouts are you fishing and in how deep of water? I was in a bay there last weekend and it was only five feet deep. I put the camera down and was loaded with crappies and sunnies. Got setup and first fish was a keeper crappie off of a crappie minnow. I started getting a lot of bites, but couldn't connect. I down sized to the smallest jig I have. Put on three eurolarva and started hammering sunnies about six inches off the bottom. I think I pulled up at least 40 sunnies anywhere from 2 inches to 7 inches. Also a 17" bass and a nice big pearch but we had limited sucess getting crappies. So I put on a flutter jig and tipped it with a crappie minnow head. We started fishing half way up the water column. So we were only about 2 1.2 feet down from the hole. The water is really clear and you can see your jig the hole time. When it dissapears, set the hook and you should have a crappie. Not all are above the 9 inch slot, but you'll get more than one.
Friends are like buttcheeks..........crap might separate them, but they come together in the end.

Offline 101PROOF

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
I have my fish house off the first point.  this is the first point right of the landing. I'm at 26 feet. off the last drop off.

I was going to move it this weekend after spending the day moving around looking for the hot spot.

Offline sandmannd

• Master Outdoorsman
    • Chasin' Tail Fishin
You have the right idea. Go out and find the fish then move your house. We went to the left off the access and just keep following the road to the left as it goes into the bay.
Friends are like buttcheeks..........crap might separate them, but they come together in the end.

Offline JCAMERON

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
  • "Johnny Camo Jr."

Hunter
Yeah that too! I always keep around some of the smallest plain jig heads I can find, A hook just big enough to hold a crappie minnow. Most of the biggest walleyes I ever caught were on a tiny little plain jig head until "Mr. Big" snapped it off.
"Superior... never gives up her dead when the gales of November come early."

Offline thunderpout

• Master Outdoorsman
Yep... Hunter said it... its good to go the finesse route, small jigs/lite hook lite line 2/2.5lb test line... you mentioned lots of colors but didnt mention much of GLOW.... I use some form of glow nearly all the time, some times just a dot, other times full neon green glow... but yeah, downsizing is all good when they go into that mode... dont be using floats either, none are sensitive enough... get after em! :happy1:

Offline rem

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
WD-40 I HAVE HEARD NOT SURE IF ITS LE :scratch:GAL THOUGH