Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!

The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: jigging and spearing northerns...ice fishing photo  (Read 3376 times)

Offline trout whisperer

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
heres a typical northern setup photo....on the ice.......shelter, chainsaw, gaff, ice bar,

[attachment deleted by admin]
trout whisperer author/guide

Offline mathews4ever

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
Do you need to do anything special to the chainsaw to cut the holes. sure would hate to mess up a good running saw. just tuned em all up. ;D
"when a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values and proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is twenty feet closer to god." -Fred Bear-

Offline trout whisperer

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
it works slick.......no pun inteneded......and you can cut a starter hole with a hand held auger......after the block is cut.....shove it under the ice pack if snowmobilers use that lake...just leave the bar oiler empty...no need to foul the hole. i have some helly hanson commercial fishing bibs to keep the water spray to a minimum.......good luck...tw
« Last Edit: December 12/02/08, 08:50:54 AM by trout whisperer »

Offline GRIZ

• Master Outdoorsman
I have had certain models of chain saws that need a kit to keep the water out of the carb but most are good to go. If your gonna cut 50-60 3x3 holes in a day then you would be grinding off rakers and puttin sharper angle on the cuttin edge but for fishing just keep the bar oiler empty like TW said.
"The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first."
~Thomas Jefferson

Offline deadeye

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
My dad and brother made it out the other day.  Here is one my dad speared.  Not too bad for a starter.
***I started out with nothing, and I still have most of it.***

Offline trout whisperer

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
looks like he knows where to frog fork them........no wasted meat..you guys in about seven feet???..congrats.....were going friday and saturday.....

Offline deadeye

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
He darn well better know where to spear em, he's been at it for at least 75 years now.  :rotflmao:
***I started out with nothing, and I still have most of it.***

Offline GRIZ

• Master Outdoorsman
Anyone else been out?

I went and sat in my buddies 2 holer on lake andrew yesterday. Got five but must have seen a dozen. I seen a real nice one in his hole but he had to bend so far down to see it that a shot wasn't possible.

We had no misses. Just one of them days they were hanging out on the edges a bit. Well my buddy claims it's my fault for not a limit. He says if your hand wasn't so busy grabbin them peanuts you could've had one of them three.

3 came in the hole at once just as I was about wrist deep in the peanut bag. Then trying to hurry and get it outta the bag I spilled the whole bag in my hole spooking them all away. Oh well guess I'll have to go today too. :cry: haha
"The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first."
~Thomas Jefferson

Offline HUNTER2

• Master Outdoorsman
I thought he would say you were to busy grabbing a beer! :toast:
HUNT & FISH TELL YA DROP
I.B.O.T.'s 249 & 250
 Handle every stressful situation like a dog.  If
                        you can't eat it or hump it.

Piss on it and walk away

Offline RandyMan

• Minnow
  • Enjoy the Experience
Anyone else been out?

I went and sat in my buddies 2 holer on lake andrew yesterday. Got five but must have seen a dozen. I seen a real nice one in his hole but he had to bend so far down to see it that a shot wasn't possible.

We had no misses. Just one of them days they were hanging out on the edges a bit. Well my buddy claims it's my fault for not a limit. He says if your hand wasn't so busy grabbin them peanuts you could've had one of them three.

3 came in the hole at once just as I was about wrist deep in the peanut bag. Then trying to hurry and get it outta the bag I spilled the whole bag in my hole spooking them all away. Oh well guess I'll have to go today too. :cry: haha

OOOHHH MAAAN - I thought that kind of stuff only happened to me!
Couple years back I was on Winni - same thing happen only it was my prize venison jerky... so about an hour latter theres sunfish like crazy down there so I toss the spear and start sunfishin ------ thats when I saw the largest dang northern I have ever seen! spear was sittin in my truck on shore - there I sit holding a reel with 2 lb test and a sunfish jig  :cry:
Enjoy the Experience

RandyMan

Offline GRIZ

• Master Outdoorsman
Just wondering if many are still out spearing? Havn't been out in a bit myself. Been so dang cold an it gets to be alot more work with the thicker ice and all. To top it off the activity is not what it is during first ice.

It takes more patience but for some reason more bigger fish are seen later it seems to me. A couple friends of mine were out the other day and each got a bruiser shark.
~Thomas Jefferson