Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!

The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: Walleye Lake Name?  (Read 2365 times)

Offline Bobby Bass

• Master Outdoorsman
So if Walleye are such a popular fish in Minnesota how come there are no lakes named Walleye Lake, or is there? There are over twenty Bass Lakes and two Big Bass Lakes a Big Sucker Lake and a Big Trout Lake even a lake named Big To Much Lake. Black Lake, Blue Lake, Brown Lake, Green Lake even a Blueberry Lake. Two Bogus Lakes. Chub Lake, Perch Lake, Pike Lake and Dogfish Lake. Did I mention Sunfish Lake?

Lakes for Ducks, Loons and Deer, Bears even Fox, Eels and Eggs. Elephants and Eagles have a lake along with Elk and don't forget the Goose. Grandpa has a lake. Lost Lake, Long Lake and Island Lake, Even Lakes that are just Little lakes. Lucky Lakes and Mud Lakes a Mystery Lake and a New Lake. Oak, Birch, Pine and Maple Lakes even a Remote Lake. Round Lakes and a School Lake, Shallow Lake and Deep Lake even a Virgin Lake.

But no Walleye Lake! As you can see I was just thinking about Lakes!
Bobby Bass

Bud and now Barney working the trail again in front of me.

It is not how many years you live, it is how you lived your years!

Offline Fish Guide

• Outdoorsman
    • Minnesota Fishing Guide Service
Heres a thought.  The walleye has long been considered a pike by the early settlers/ explorers etc  so Im guessing that the "pike" lakes may actually mean "walleye" in some cases.  Also I'm guessing that many of the lakes were named by native americans and early explorers/map makers etc that simply used names that where easy to come up with while they were there staring at it--Birch/Long/Eagle etc.  Why so many with the same name?  Im guessing "Whiskey" might have something to do with it and also the fact that there where many map makers/explorers back in the day who had the same ideas when stumbling onto different lakes at the same time but had no idea (due to the lack of communication) that someone else had already named a lake "long" etc .  Sound good? 
"To put fish in the box, fish outside the box"

Minnesota Fishing Guide Service
www.minnesotaguideservice.com

Offline GRIZ

• Master Outdoorsman
Now that were talking about lake names. What are the three most common names for lakes in MN? Then how many of each are there?
"The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first."
~Thomas Jefferson

Offline trout whisperer

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
your a thinker......great point.......no walleye named lake.......and its the state fish......

YOU NEED TO SEND THIS TO THE GOV......AND GET YOUR FIFTEEN MINUTES OF FAME.....
trout whisperer author/guide

Offline Bobby Bass

• Master Outdoorsman
I hate to say it but I think I know the answer.. 201 Mud lakes, 154 Long lakes and 123 Rice Lakes What can I say, I fish a lot ! at least that is what the wife says!  :whistling:
Bobby Bass

Offline stevejedlenski

• Master Outdoorsman
my guess as to why is probably because nobody wants the name walleye lake. this would draw alot of attention to that lake and it would probably not have many walleyes left. its just an assumption but any vacationer would think walleye lake, must have tons of walleyes in it! and the lake would get a ton of people fishing it thinking it must have a lot of walleyes in it.
 people can be dumb like that
my wife said it.... im OFFICIALLY ADDICTED to MNO!!

Offline Mayfly

• Master Outdoorsman
    • MNO
my guess as to why is probably because nobody wants the name walleye lake. this would draw alot of attention to that lake and it would probably not have many walleyes left. its just an assumption but any vacationer would think walleye lake, must have tons of walleyes in it! and the lake would get a ton of people fishing it thinking it must have a lot of walleyes in it.
 people can be dumb like that

Now that I think of it...... I have been hunting on the shores of Deer Lake all these years for the worng reasons!!!  :banghead:

;)

Offline Bobby Bass

• Master Outdoorsman
Lakes for Ducks, Loons and Deer, Bears even Fox, Eels and Eggs. Elephants and Eagles have a lake along with Elk and don't forget the Goose. Grandpa has a lake. Lost Lake, Long Lake and Island Lake, Even Lakes that are just Little lakes. Lucky Lakes and Mud Lakes a Mystery Lake and a New Lake. Oak, Birch, Pine and Maple Lakes even a Remote Lake. Round Lakes and a School Lake, Shallow Lake and Deep Lake even a      {Virgin Lake}.  So there is not really a virgin Lake?  :queen2:
« Last Edit: January 01/22/09, 06:28:56 PM by Bobby Bass »
Bobby Bass

Offline HD

• Administrator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • #1 Judge (Retired)
    • Minnesota Outdoorsman
I read in the paper that down in the cities, they have a pond called Wall-E...........

But, they got ponds named after the Stooges too.

Now they plan on changing them all to numbers for reasons of standardization (Don't figure)

Hunter
Mama always said, If you ain't got noth'in nice to say, don't say noth'in at all!