Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!

The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: anybody sold any fur yet?  (Read 5671 times)

Offline mathews4ever

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
Just wondering what you are getting for your fur. been hearing $2-10 for coon. That is where my market is this year.
"when a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values and proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is twenty feet closer to god." -Fred Bear-

Offline trout whisperer

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
......prices rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.............low..........on beaver in the round. not good maybe 20.00 for a blanket.......deer hides 3.00 dollars or a pair of gloves most places........otter prices look like junk.......im waiting for fisher and marten season before i peddle anything more...tw
trout whisperer author/guide

Offline GRIZ

• Master Outdoorsman
That is one thing about a uncertain market. If your selling in the round your prices look pretty dismal. $20 on beaver in the round don't sound too bad to me, granted if they are put up you prolly get 30-35 for them.

2-10 dollar coon seems a bit low. 2 bucks isn't too low for junk but better stuff should be a bit more than 10. Are these prices for in the round.
« Last Edit: November 11/13/08, 06:53:12 PM by GRIZ »
"The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first."
~Thomas Jefferson

Offline GRIZ

• Master Outdoorsman
It's really funny with fur prices. I used to be guilty of this my self but not much anymore. Here's the way I see it if rats one yr jump up from $2.00 to $8.00 nobody says a thing other than nice to see prices back up. Then the next yr when prices drop down to $4.00 they complain about low prices. At $4.00 that is still double the money from 1 yr earlier, that sounds pretty good to me. I wished my boss would double my wages in a yr.

Now on the other hand if I got what Gramps used to back in the haydays, I'd trap for 3 yrs then retire. I could afford to. He was telling me a story about being out hunting once an a mink crawling up his pant leg. The dogs ended up tearing it in half completely. Well he skun it out anyway brought it to the buyer in 2 pieces and got $38 bucks for it. If back in the forties a female mink that's torn in two is worth $38 and now 70 yrs later one in good condition put up maybe worth $10, that's something to complain about.

This started out as a coon price topic but just trying to give you an idea of what the market will do. Coon right now are above the ten yr ave on a hide. Just not what everyone was expecting after last yrs. spike in coon.
"The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first."
~Thomas Jefferson

Offline NDGUY

• Outdoorsman
sold some coyote 10.00 and fox 5.00 on the cob asked about coon 10.00-15.00 on the cob :scratch:

Offline GRIZ

• Master Outdoorsman
sold some coyote 10.00 and fox 5.00 on the cob asked about coon 10.00-15.00 on the cob :scratch:

Thats what I've been seeing. Fox an yote prices like that ain't good. Your lucky you have a much better yote than we do round here or they'd only be worth $5 too.

2-3 bucks for a weasel on the cob makes more sense at least the population is around 40-50 psm in good habitat. Well prices like that yote pop will be that high too.
~Thomas Jefferson

Offline tazmn01

• Outdoorsman
For the simple minded like me whats on the cob>
Camp, fish, hunt hard as a family. And pray God finds you as a keeper when it is all over.

Offline GRIZ

• Master Outdoorsman
Hasn't been skinned yet
~Thomas Jefferson

Offline TNT

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
hey griz,
any word on what the bobcats are bringing this year, price wise? a few cats have been seen in the river area's here and i know a couple guys are trying to call them in. just wondering on the fur price.
thanks.

Offline spear foot 1

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
 So what are most of you guys doing stock piling your furs and seeing what the market does?  In your opinoin how long should a guy wait?

Offline GRIZ

• Master Outdoorsman
I wouldn't call it stock piling. Some are hanging on to it on what I refer to as speculation. The big number people have sold for the most part as they usualy do. Many times even if the market goes up people end up getting less for them as they get stale.

"How long should a guy wait?" That depends on how they are stored. If your waiting for the market to go up, plan on holding on to them until the economy goes back up in russia and china.
~Thomas Jefferson

Offline GRIZ

• Master Outdoorsman
Well I just talked with a guy and he said he'll pay me $4.50 for my weasel, nose count. I've worked out a trade for the glands and have found a guy who wants the carcasses. When it's all done I should have about $6.50 outta each one.

A friend of mine sold close to 150 coon he took end of feb/early march for $7.50 ave. These were skun but not dried. Wasn't what he'd hoped but enough to make a house payment anyhow.
~Thomas Jefferson

Offline fishercz20

• Outdoorsman
Man, those prices for coon really do seem low. Hope they come up next fall. Any thoughts Griz? You think they might?

Offline GRIZ

• Master Outdoorsman
Hard to tell right now. Wait for another auction an we'll see.
~Thomas Jefferson