Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!

The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: A little late, but it's planted  (Read 1905 times)

Offline deadeye

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
I know I'm a little late getting some plots planted but that's the way it goes sometimes.  Two weeks ago I sprayed three plots with roundup.  I followed up with a second spraying one week ago.  One plot is around 50 feet wide by 1000 feet long. (follows the wood line on the southern part of a long narrow field).  I sprayed two other plots on the edge of other fields.  These three plots total around two acres.  I did not till or work the soil.  I mixed clover (4 types) and chickory (small amount) with the fertilizer.  I spread this at approximatly the following rates per acre.
Seed - 12 pounds
Nitrogen - 40 pounds
Phorphous - 22 pounds
Potash - 20 pounds
I'm keeping my fingers crossed that we will get sufficent rain over the next month to establish the plants.  (if the rains don't cooperate and not enough plants grow, I plan to broadcast more seed in the middle of August).  I also fertilied three clover plots that were planted last year.  These are in the middle of wooded ares and look great now. (lots of deer browse)
***I started out with nothing, and I still have most of it.***

Offline Big E

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
Let the small bucks walk. Don't assume the neighbors will shoot them if you don't. If you shoot him what chance does that buck have to grow......ZERO!

Offline deadeye

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Big E, 
I mixed clover (4 types) and chickory (small amount) with the fertilizer.  I spread this at approximatly the following rates per acre.
Seed - 12 pounds
Nitrogen - 40 pounds
Phorphous - 22 pounds
Potash - 20 pounds

We have a couple other plots the we will plant brassicas later (mid August).  I would have liked to get the clover in earlier but had a bunch of stuff working against me.  I planted clover because it usually will last for 4-5 years before it needs replanting.  Also it provides a lot of good forage all summer long.  I planted it mostly to feed the deer and not necessarily to hunt over.

P.S. Big E - How are the trees doing?  We are have a hard time establishing a "woods" in our field.
***I started out with nothing, and I still have most of it.***

Offline Big E

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
So far the trees are doing really good. I've only seen about 3 that look like they won't make it. I'm sure there is more but from what I can see the vast majority are still living. The popple shoots are not up too high yet to shade out the pines but we'll see.
Let the small bucks walk. Don't assume the neighbors will shoot them if you don't. If you shoot him what chance does that buck have to grow......ZERO!