Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!

The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: Fox Hunting guns  (Read 4529 times)

Offline mahmoodmahi

• Outdoorsman
What are the guns people use or recommend for fox hunting? I have have heard a lot against using any 22 LR for foxes and coyotes (though you can bring both down this way), so also what do people think are guns that should definatly not be used when hunting foxes?

Offline Super Star!

• Master Outdoorsman
    • www.skinsandfinstaxidermy.com
depends you keeping the hide or tossing the whole thing out??

or a .17 hmr is what i use....

Offline Cody Gruchow

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2016 Mno rockbass challenge champion
22 can do just fine, i just wouldnt recommend long shots with it. like superstar said it all depends on what you want to do with it.

Offline mahmoodmahi

• Outdoorsman
The idea is to keep the hides, even though fur prices are  :censored:ed this year. Will a .22 Lr in my expireince doesn't do all that much damage, though  I keep reading online that it is not enough power to make a clean kill (which is not my expiernece). Is 17 better if your goal is to put up the fur and sell it?

Offline mnnate

• Outdoorsman
Unless you are under 50yds I would advise against a 22 or 17. Just not enough energy unless you take a head shot. I would/do opt for a .223 with a good hollow point bullet. Small entrance wound, usually NO exit wound and will drop them in their tracks.

Offline dakids

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • 2013 MNO Fishing Challenge Champ!
Try the 243 loaded with a "VARMANT GRENADE"  by barnes.  Small entry hole and the bullet explodes immediately after entry.  It liquifies the internal organs and will not exit.  We have yet to see a yote go farther than straight down. :fudd:
Anything that is free is worth saving up for.

Offline The General

• MNO Staff
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • Smackdown King
I second the 243 plus it's a good gun for deer.  I shoot Hornaday 58gr varmint express for fox and yotes.
Eastwood v. Wayne Challenge Winner 2011

The Boogie Man may check his closet for John Wayne but John Wayne checks under his bed for Clint Eastwood

Offline Super Star!

• Master Outdoorsman
Unless you are under 50yds I would advise against a 22 or 17. Just not enough energy unless you take a head shot. I would/do opt for a .223 with a good hollow point bullet. Small entrance wound, usually NO exit wound and will drop them in their tracks.

I take it you have never shot a .17 hmr before.. not to brag but i have probably killed more fox and coyotes, beaver and coon than you have seen in your life time and shots have been as far as 200 yards..
« Last Edit: August 08/18/09, 11:45:52 PM by Super Star! »

Offline The General

• MNO Staff
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • Smackdown King
I second SuperStar with the 17.  Unless it's a windy day then then a 200yrd shot with a 17 can turn into a crap shoot.
Eastwood v. Wayne Challenge Winner 2011

The Boogie Man may check his closet for John Wayne but John Wayne checks under his bed for Clint Eastwood

Offline mnnate

• Outdoorsman
I take it you have never shot a .17 hmr before.. not to brag but i have probably killed more fox and coyotes, beaver and coon than you have seen in your life time and shots have been as far as 200 yards..
[/quote]
Yes I have a 17hmr. They deff. are a fun little rifle. But I would not take the chance of wounding a fox or 'yote with a 17. I have had to shoot coons/skunks several times before expiring. And I'm not talking body shots. The 17 is a great caliber but more for squirrels and gophers/p dogs. Just too light imo for bigger animals. Thats why I suggest a .223 or .22/250. No problems there. The .243 is also a great caliber for varmits when loaded with light bullets and like said is a good caliber for deer.
BTW you're talking pretty big for your kills. Our group shot over a hundred 'yotes last winter running dogs. Just sayin'.. ;D

Offline Super Star!

• Master Outdoorsman
BTW you're talking pretty big for your kills. Our group shot over a hundred 'yotes last winter running dogs. Just sayin'.. Grin

doors open come along on the trap line....

Offline GRIZ

• Master Outdoorsman
I wouldn't recommend a 22 lr although they can do the job at shorter ranges. I don't have any experience with the 17 hmr but have heard good an bad. Most of the bad I've heard has to do with it's performance on yotes. I would go with a 223, shells are available in most places and not overly expensive. It depends on what ranges you expect to be shooting at. Myself I shoot a 22hornet for closer stuff an a 220swift for longer shots. I wouldn't think of shooting either of these if I didn't handload due to availability and price.
"The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first."
~Thomas Jefferson

Offline Super Star!

• Master Outdoorsman
I wouldn't recommend a 22 lr although they can do the job at shorter ranges. I don't have any experience with the 17 hmr but have heard good an bad. Most of the bad I've heard has to do with it's performance on yotes. I would go with a 223, shells are available in most places and not overly expensive. It depends on what ranges you expect to be shooting at. Myself I shoot a 22hornet for closer stuff an a 220swift for longer shots. I wouldn't think of shooting either of these if I didn't handload due to availability and price.

HOLY shat... is that a howl i hear in the night air.... Did the Griz come out of hibernation???
are you beating the shore lines looking for little varmints that may be trespassing on your territory?