Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!

The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: Rabbit hunting  (Read 3114 times)

Offline Moving2thecountry

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
I have been taking my 8 year old son out rabbit hunting with either his blow gun or his pellet gun (he's pretty good shot with either), but we've only flushed one rabbit.

Where is a good spot for a young boy to hunt rabbit? 

I usually scare up rabbits on accident during pheasant season, especially later, so I really don't know how to hunt them intentionally early in the year.

Any WMAs you can recommend near the western or northern side of the cities?

Offline GRIZ

• Master Outdoorsman
It's been my experience that WMA's are tougher to hunt than private lands for bunnies. At least in my area due to the grass being so thick. They can run from you without ever being in site. If possible try to find some smaller groves in farm land and walk the edges. Also early in the season a rabbit can hide real easily. I like to wait til a dusting of snow comes then you can pick them out like a sore thumb. Swamps hold alot of rabbits but are tuff to hunt w/o a dog. Try to find habitat that is thick enough to hold bunnies but open enough for you to be able to spot them when flushed. In the winter time I like to get at them at first light, then you don't have to flush them they will still be hunkered down in thier feed stations and can be seen easily.
"The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first."
~Thomas Jefferson

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
Thanks GRIZ, I think we're going to switch to squirrels this weekend, if there are any left.  Is there some land along the Minnesota river that is huntable near the twin cities?  I had a friend tell me about some federal land, but I couldn't find it on my maps.
« Last Edit: October 10/02/09, 11:24:55 PM by Moving2thecountry »

Offline GRIZ

• Master Outdoorsman
I was thinking going for squirrels this time of yr but forgot to mention that in my post.
"The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first."
~Thomas Jefferson

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
Thanks again.  Seems that MNOUTDOORSMAN is under visited this year.  What is going on?

Offline Randy Kaar

• Master Outdoorsman
  • Randy aka bh
Its that time between fishing and hunting, It is normal.

randy
Voted #1 Outdoors Website in MN ( www.mnoutdoorsman.com )!
bonehead149@yahoo.com
bonehead@mnoutdoorsman.com

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
Got it.  Well, we found a wma near the MN river, saw lots of acorns and some walnuts, heard a couple of squirrels, didn't see anything.  But my son saw a deer, and I heard whatever it was.  It was pushed in by some hikers or something, so seems plausible.  We also saw 5 deer on the way home.  He wants to know why we never get anything.:( :scratch: