Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!

The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: Weather and seasons(added my market thoughts)  (Read 2487 times)

Offline GRIZ

• Master Outdoorsman
 Now that winter has set in it's time to chase other critters. My mink an coon sets have been pulled since the freeze has come. Right now I'm just chasing some weasels but when this subzero stuff goes away plan to set some muskrat traps out. Will set an occassional mink trap as I cross thier path at least til thier fur starts to singe. Later on I have a few beaver to chase as well as snare some predators.

Then there is spearing also an people wonder why the back of my truck is a mess.

What are others doing?
« Last Edit: December 12/15/09, 07:05:12 PM by GRIZ »
"The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first."
~Thomas Jefferson

Offline dakids

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • 2013 MNO Fishing Challenge Champ!
What does it take to get a trapping lisence?  I was thinking about trying to trap weasels with the box and rat trap that you showed last year.  It looked like fun.  I saw one while in my deer stand.  Little white guy with a black tipped tail.
Anything that is free is worth saving up for.

Offline GRIZ

• Master Outdoorsman
This is a ? that makes me think a bit. If you are just going after weasel with rat traps I am not sure that you need a Lic, don't quote me on that as you may being it is open trapping seasons on other animals.

The other is if you have ever had a trapping lic before, then you are grandfathered in and don't need trapper certification. Then you could just go buy a lic. I will have to check but if born b4 a certain date I think you are also grandfathered in. I'm not certain about that as it's never been brought up to me before. I'll get back to you.
"The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first."
~Thomas Jefferson

Offline GRIZ

• Master Outdoorsman
You do not need to be certified for a lic. Only those born after dec 31 1989 who haven't had a lic before need to be certified in order to get one.

As far as trapping unprotected animals I've got 2 different answers from 3 different sources. 2 wardens and the other from st. paul but that was second hand. I read the regs and couldn't find anything about it myself
« Last Edit: December 12/14/09, 08:14:48 PM by GRIZ »
~Thomas Jefferson

Offline GRIZ

• Master Outdoorsman
I hope it warms tomorrow like it's suppossed to as I'm itchin to get some rat traps out. The price seems to have gone up somewhat and I think it's going to go further than most think. Only time will tell but this itchy spot on top of my head says I don't have enough rats in the shed.

I sold mink today as I don't think they are going anywhere up or down.

I wished I could have held on to some coon that I sold earlier. The price seems to have gone up some and I'd sell them now but I have an itch spot underneath the seat of my britches that tells me first auction and they ain't worth as much as buyers were hoping. Bottom line is I think buyers are paying more due to short harvest, it may backfire. Time will tell that too.

BTW
Got 3 weasel yesterday and had 5 run bys, typical one day they like your offering the next they don't.
~Thomas Jefferson

Offline spear foot 1

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
 Someone told me a week or so ago that fur buyers werent even buying coons. They would take the hides but weren't paying nothing for them.

Offline GRIZ

• Master Outdoorsman
I haven't heard of that. Did ya have some coon they wanted?
~Thomas Jefferson

Offline spear foot 1

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
 No not me personally but a buddy of mine has a dozen or so and he talked to the bait shop where the fur buyer stops and they told him the buyer had been there and not buying.May be somebody had some crappy hides or something and the buyer didnt want them. You know how stories get  from one person to the next :whistling:

Offline GRIZ

• Master Outdoorsman
I just found it odd as coon prices have went up since fall.
~Thomas Jefferson