Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!

The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: Fake weeds  (Read 2129 times)

Offline Outdoors Junkie

• MNO Director
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • AKA "Outdoors Junkie"
Anyone use fake weeds when ice fishing?  What is your exerience with them?
www.mnoutdoorsman.com
Voted #1 Outdoors Website in MN

Offline Jdrummer

• Master Outdoorsman
I use them when the situation calls for them. I have made my own for about 5 bucks but they do not work as well as the manufactured ones. I am usually fishing by or in weeds most of the year so I think it's not worth the hassel . just my 2 cents
Pratice doesn't make perfect, Perfect pratice makes perfect!

Offline MNBucKKiller

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
I agree... just find natural weeds and fish by then, save yourself the hassle.

Offline Tyler Rother

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
only time i use em is on my camera line. but yeah, waste of time and money, just find a weed bed as JD said

Offline Outdoors Junkie

• MNO Director
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • AKA "Outdoors Junkie"
There is not a lot of structure or weed beds in Western SD lakes.  The majority of lakes around the Black Hills are man-made reserviors.

I had heard (from a friend) that others were having success with these fake weeds.  I have never used them, so I am wondering if they work?

If you have other idea's for me to try to increase success with my two boys, please share them.

Thanks!
www.mnoutdoorsman.com
Voted #1 Outdoors Website in MN

Offline dakids

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • 2013 MNO Fishing Challenge Champ!
I knew a guy that used to pick up 20-30 x-mas trees every year in jan. and he would wire them to cinder blocks and sink them in a lake out in the middle of nowhere.  He would always catch fish and usually didn't have to many other fisherman to closeby.  It was and prabably still is illegal.
Anything that is free is worth saving up for.

Offline MNBucKKiller

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
I knew a guy that used to pick up 20-30 x-mas trees every year in jan. and he would wire them to cinder blocks and sink them in a lake out in the middle of nowhere.  He would always catch fish and usually didn't have to many other fisherman to closeby.  It was and prabably still is illegal.

yup, illegal.
There is not a lot of structure or weed beds in Western SD lakes.  The majority of lakes around the Black Hills are man-made reserviors.

well that changes things, id give them a try in that case.

Offline thunderpout

• Master Outdoorsman
I believe its legal if you have a permit to submerge structure like cribs, trees etc....

Offline Jdrummer

• Master Outdoorsman
Fake weeds would work if you are trying to have fish stay near by. If you catch one then they dissapear thats when u use them. Alot of people have mixed opinions of if they work. Sometimes they will spook fish other times they will stay till you catch them all ! :fishing2:

Offline BiggA

• Master Outdoorsman
Are these things on a string or something so you can retrieve them? I would be concerned with tangling around that. Otherwise I dont see why they wont work.

Offline Jdrummer

• Master Outdoorsman
they are on a cord and they have a float and a stoppeer so you can set the depth somewhat.

Offline Tyler Rother

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
Pine trees, and ceder trees give off a chemical about year 3 of being submerged that makes the widespread area a dead spot for fishing.

Just to let you know, even then, find something different.

Cheaters shouldn't fish.

Offline Jdrummer

• Master Outdoorsman
Pine trees, and ceder trees give off a chemical about year 3 of being submerged that makes the widespread area a dead spot for fishing.

hhhmmmm :scratch: Might have to take care of a few ex friends spots?  :whistling:  :rotflmao: just kiddin  :whistling: