Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!

The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: DNR releases baiting numbers  (Read 1833 times)

Offline HD

• Administrator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • #1 Judge (Retired)
    • Minnesota Outdoorsman
News Releases
DNR releases baiting numbers

The Minnesota Department of Natural Resources (DNR) has finalized information related to baiting violations that were investigated by Minnesota conservation officers during the 2009 deer seasons.

Conservation officers received 545 baiting complaints during the 2009 deer seasons (archery, firearms, muzzleloader), resulting in 129 citations being issued and 140 firearms seized.
Half of the conservation officers encountered other hunting violations while conducting baiting investigations, including tagging/validation violations, 52 percent; no license, 27 percent; and trespass, 25 percent.
Apples, corn and sugar beets dispersed in open areas figured in 87 percent of deer baiting cases this season.
Officers reported that nearly 60 percent of the hunters who were cited for violations admitted to conservation officers that they knew baiting was illegal, but chose to do it anyway.
Nearly 50 percent of the persons cited offered that they were aware of baiting regulations through DNR Enforcement Division news releases, media reports, or the Minnesota Hunting and Trapping Regulations Handbook.
Deer baiting is strategically placing a pile of food near deer stands or clearings in hopes of luring a deer into close range. Nationally, 28 states ban the practice in any form, while 22 allow it (eight with significant restrictions).

Mama always said, If you ain't got noth'in nice to say, don't say noth'in at all!

Offline HD

• Administrator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • #1 Judge (Retired)
    • Minnesota Outdoorsman
Geeze.....I posted this first and then re-read it.....

Kinda reminds me of a drunk driver..."I knew it was wrong"

Sorry osifer (hick)...........  :tequila;
Mama always said, If you ain't got noth'in nice to say, don't say noth'in at all!

Offline beeker

• Master Outdoorsman
interesting numbers.  I don't know if they can really call it "strategically" placing the bait if they got caught. wonder how many of those "leads" were investigated... maybe they need more CO's
If science fiction has taught me anything, it's that you can never have enough guns and ammo when the zombies come back to life... "WS"