Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!

The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: Anybody ever eat a raccoon?  (Read 2795 times)

Offline Moving2thecountry

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
Just wondering if it is eatable.  Personally, I don't like killing animals I don't eat, unless they are posing an immediate threat to safety or property.  My dog came face to face with a raccoon, once.  They just stared at each other--neither so much as growled.  So I let it go, called my dog back. 

But if they are tasty...

Offline HD

• Administrator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • #1 Judge (Retired)
    • Minnesota Outdoorsman
Yep, I've ate um before....
They are a little greasey, but not bad.

I think I posted a recipe for um in a ground hog thread (cause you can use it for either or)

Hunter
Mama always said, If you ain't got noth'in nice to say, don't say noth'in at all!

Offline spear foot 1

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
 We have them at the wild game feed annualy. Like hunterdown  said greasy but good if made in stew or choopped up and made in to gravy is also good.

Offline Mayfly

• Master Outdoorsman
    • MNO
Someone tried to feed me a raccoon once..... No way! Only in emergency would I do it. I think he made stew and loved it.

Offline GRIZ

• Master Outdoorsman
Yup and ya don't have to worry about it bein dry. Actually kinda has a sweet taste to it. Reminds me of bear.
"The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first."
~Thomas Jefferson

Offline spear foot 1

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
Yup and ya don't have to worry about it bein dry. Actually kinda has a sweet taste to it. Reminds me of bear.
   ...................beer      oh you said bear :toast:

Offline dakids

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • 2013 MNO Fishing Challenge Champ!
Taste, and they aren't to hard to find and kill.
Anything that is free is worth saving up for.

Offline jkcmj

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
I can remember my great uncle Ed used to bring steaming hot tray heaping with raccoon meat right out of the smoke house.  We kids would gather around and eat it all... ate it occasionally at game feeds.  Always was passable.

Offline GRIZ

• Master Outdoorsman
Down south the fur isn't worth much with the market the way it is. Yet they still trap em. Some states allow the selling of carcasses for food. That is how they get money trappin them is the carcasses. Must be a decent demand for them but what they get I really don't know. I knew a man that trapped down there a few yrs back and told me he would sell them on the hoof in the parkin lot behind his apartment. Then the fur brought somethin too so he'd skin them as people bought em.
"The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first."
~Thomas Jefferson