Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!

The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: Building a pole shed  (Read 3368 times)

Offline The General

• MNO Staff
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • Smackdown King
Well I'm pulling the trigger on building a pole shed.  Any do's and don'ts?  I'm going to make sure to build it big enough so I can back the truck and boat in and leave it hooked up.  I'm thinking 32x52
Eastwood v. Wayne Challenge Winner 2011

The Boogie Man may check his closet for John Wayne but John Wayne checks under his bed for Clint Eastwood

Offline DDSBYDAY

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2012 MNO Fishing Challenge Champion
    • Advanced Tackle Innovations
If at all possible go with a slab.  It's like putting a retractable roof on a baseball stadium in Minnesota .  Once in a while it goes just fine.  The rest of the time you will wonder why you did not do it right the first time.  ;D
Pai Mei tells the Godfather when it's time to tell Wayne  to pimp slap Eastwood.

Offline JohnWester

• Master Outdoorsman
  • Kabetogama, MN
i second the slab... and make the shed bigger.  Because I guarantee you'll wish you did.
If a gun kills people then I can blame a pen for my misspells?

IBOT# 286 big_fish_guy

Offline The General

• MNO Staff
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • Smackdown King
I sure wish I could.  Right now cement isn't in the budget.  I will however make sure to use class 5 for the floor.  I just need some cold storage right now. My cylinder index is getting to high for the 2 car garage and all the kids toys.  Thanks and keep the ideas coming.

P.S. I have a heated 24x32 garage to do all my fixing in.

The Boogie Man may check his closet for John Wayne but John Wayne checks under his bed for Clint Eastwood

Offline The General

• MNO Staff
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • Smackdown King
I'm also going to put in a skylight and plenty of windows.  I'm also going to go with the thicker steel.

Offline kenhuntin

• Master Outdoorsman
  • FISH CHAMP#1 2010#10 2009#4 2008 colapsed 2011
skylights are terriffic if you want to check weather. If they are covered with snow then it has recently snowed and if the ground below them is wet then it has rained. If not a hassle now they will be in the future. Cement floors seem to take longer in the spring to dry than good old soil. I have a casement window for you for free as long as you do not install a skylight. I have no place nor anyone I know has a place for it. It is a new window that was installed and enameled and was eliminated before the house was moved into. The glass is 20 x 48.
A gun owner is a citizen
Those without are subjects

Offline DDSBYDAY

• Master Outdoorsman
Winter drainage.  Plow banks with frozen ground.  Snow melting off the roof.  Just some thoughts  about how to turn class 5 into the heaviest clay shoes you can buy.  I have only seen it once in twenty years but it was bad.
Pai Mei tells the Godfather when it's time to tell Wayne  to pimp slap Eastwood.

Offline The General

• MNO Staff
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • Smackdown King
Wow guys thanks for all the info.  Skylights = gone.  Ken thanks for the window offer but Lino Lakes is a haul for me.  My driveway is class 5 and I don't get heavy clay shoes.  If at some time in the future I plan on cementing it don't I want to have class 5 down?

Offline MTCOMMER

• Master Outdoorsman
Measure once, cut twice.... or is it the other way around!    :scratch:

We built a 60x40 'garage' a few years back at the cabin.  We are glad we decided on that size.  We are able to store 4 boats and two ATVs, and there is plenty of room.  We make a little extra cash storing boats for the neighbors, its nice for us and more convenient for them!
We have some extra storage above in the rafters, but we floored it and made a door in the back up to the top storage. -- It worked out well because we built the garage on a slope, so we have some steps up to it and its next to our woods.  It would look pretty odd out in the open, just sayin!
GOOD LUCK, it was a fun project for us, took alot of time, but its great now that its done!

Offline Go Big Red!

• Master Outdoorsman
If possible, put power to it.  Even though you have another garage for fixing, at least have it set-up for welders, a car lift, 110 V outlets, etc.  You may not put those in, but it adds to the re-sale value and you have a bigger place to hide out in.....
Take a kid hunting and fishing... It'll be the best thing for generations to come.

Offline Woody

• Master Outdoorsman
1- tell the wife you got her a new concrete slab-with in floor heat for the pole shed for mothers day!
2- Even if just for now, run elect. conduit and a water line to the shed for future installation. 
3-And it wouldn't hurt to run a phone line now too if you use a landline.  Or just use cellphone.

Bonus items:

Floor Lift-so you can comfortably work on vehicles
Bathroom-cuz everybody poops
Pool Table
60" LED LCDTV
6' Bar fully stocked-otherwise you're going to embarrass yourself with your friends
Stripper Pole-Contact camp Y girls for best brand and other important pole advice.  :whistling:

;D
The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not. ~Thomas Jefferson

Got Freedom? Thank a Vet!!!
www.fawkinnae.com
www.atijigs.com

Offline dakids

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • 2013 MNO Fishing Challenge Champ!
Overhead doors on both ends of the shed for easy entry and exit of the toys.

Water.  A simple Yard hydrant that doesn't require blowing out in the fall.
Anything that is free is worth saving up for.

Offline Bobby Bass

• Master Outdoorsman
If you haul in class 5 I would top it with crushed limestone if you can get it. Packs well and does not turn to mud like class5 does and or pit run.
Bobby Bass

Bud and now Barney working the trail again in front of me.

It is not how many years you live, it is how you lived your years!

Offline The General

• MNO Staff
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • Smackdown King
Thanks again for all the input.  Electric will be done for sure.  I will check on the limestone BB.  Stripper pole will be the mothers day present  ;D

Offline DDSBYDAY

• Master Outdoorsman
Best not tell the  :queen2: why you have the best pole barn in the county..  If you got it done and the floor washed out  1 week later you would be out in the :cold:

One last tip from me is put a mother in-law room in it.   Make it nice because you will be the one in there.

Offline Woody

• Master Outdoorsman
As luck would have it, I can get you a helluva deal on lights!  If you're interested, pm or e-mail me! 
The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not. ~Thomas Jefferson

Got Freedom? Thank a Vet!!!
www.fawkinnae.com
www.atijigs.com

Offline The General

• MNO Staff
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • Smackdown King
Little Update on the shed.  Well the person who knows how to build these things stopped by last night and we decided on a 39x48.  I asked about the skylight and he said HECK NO.  So who ever gave that advice.......Nice Job :happy1:.  He also recommended laminated poles so I went with those.  Now my next step is to bid the dirt work.

P.S. Just an FYI the most expensive add on is sofits and facia.  The cheapest dress up is Waynes coating.  
« Last Edit: May 05/06/10, 09:37:20 PM by The General »