Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!

The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: Early and Late Fall Attractant  (Read 1781 times)

Offline LandDr

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
Something I have been trying for the past two years and will again this year.  Next year we may put it in a bag together.

Many people plant wheat, oats, rye, peas, beans or anything else in late summer for an "early fall attractant".  These are great for the archery season and may last into the firearms season...but often they are grazed out or start to become too mature for the "late season attractant".

Many people plant brassicas for a "late fall attractant".  During the growing season deer will leave brassicas alone for the most part due to their starchy content, bitter taste and being less palatable.  When they get cold enough, the starch converts to sugar and brassicas become an incredible fall attractant.

The problem is that if you plant your early fall attractants, you food plot most likely in unused in the late fall...or...if you plant lat fall attractants, then your food plot most likely is unused in the early fall.

Therefore the reason for our mix.

PLM developed a mix of our "Peas & Oats" mix (winter pea and winter oat) and our "Brassi Buck" mix.  This maximizes the "usability" of your food plot without competition issues.  Depending on your location, we plant this mix around August 1st each year.  Both seed mixes come up very fast and are very impressive.  Whitetail will begin using the plot for the succulant peas and oats comoing up right away...while leaving the Brassi Buck alone.  This offers a great use of the food plot and attractant for your archery season.  As it gets colder, the deer will start hitting the Peas & Oats even harder.  With colder temps, they will start on the Brassi Buck as well, which will aline with your late season archery and the start of your firearms season.  Usually the Peas & Oats has been grazed down pretty good by now and the focus is on the Brassi Buck.  Getting into late season firearms and muzzleloader seasons, the whitetail will REALLY be on the Brassi Buck for your late season attractant.

Due to the late summer planting, I often try to till the plots once or twice prior to going out for the final tillage and planting date.  This mix can be drilled or broadcast...I simply broadcast and roll it in.  It is usually up within 5 days...really pops out of the ground!  More information can be found at the following link...

http://www.habitatnow.com/store/shop/shop.php?pn_selected_category=10

Good luck with your spring food plots and let me know if you have any questions.

Kyle, PLM
www.HabitatNOW.com

Offline dakids

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • 2013 MNO Fishing Challenge Champ!
How do you keep the deer out of your brasicas?  2 years ago we planted 2 acres of brassicas in the spring and when they got knee high the deer found them and wiped them out before the end of summer. 
Anything that is free is worth saving up for.

Offline LandDr

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
I rarely hear of deer eating brassicas during the growing season...but occassionally I do.  I am not sure why the majority of the deer leave brassicas alone during the growing season while a few others devour them.  Is there a lack of other food sources in the area that cause them to eat things they usually would not?  I am not sure...but on my farms and the majority of my customer's farms, the deer leave the brassicas alone until later.  Sometimes, especially with a mild fall and winter, the deer won't hit them until late December or January.

As with everything...there are exceptions to the rule.

Kyle, PLM
www.HabitatNOW.com