Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!

The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: MNO's Food Plot 1 - Pictures  (Read 6138 times)

Offline Mayfly

• Master Outdoorsman
    • MNO
Well folks.. I finally got the schedule cleared and hit the woods. I have 3 small areas about 1/2 - 3/4 of an acre each that I plan on getting some seed down in.

This is from another post on the board.. I kinda went through and explained my plan for this plot.

The last area I hunt is the north metro. This year I plan on putting in two small plots in the middle of the woods. There are two prime areas that are basically clear and just need to be worked. There is also some ag in the area but I want something on the properties I hunt to draw them in. As of right now I plan on doing two small brassica plots. I will probably start next week by bringing in a brush hawg and cutting everything out and down. After I get everything cut we will spray it and let it sit. I'll wait two weeks and then head in with rakes. Its a small enough area that if I spend a day out there with a buddy we can rake it out pretty good. Once that is done and we get the dead off of it plan to work the ground a little bit with maybe a disc.... thats all we have access to so not much of a choice. Also, by then the soil samples will be back and I also will apply lime if needed and anything else we need. I do want to break up the top a little with that and then spray one last time, wait another two weeks and then rake and plant. I figure this will put me into July and I would ideally like to plant right around the 15th of July hopefully no later. I want to wait and let the weather and rain to dictate that.

Here is a couple before and after pics from today. The plan was just to cut the plot area out and clear up some of the brush. Now, later this week we will get in there and spray it pretty heavy with some weed killer. I will explain my plan for the other two areas in another thread.... this one will be reserved for updates on Plot 1.

Before looking North from South:

After:

Before looking to the East:

After:

It didn't take long. I just rented a brush hawg and went in there and chopped it all down. Now we spray and wait.......
« Last Edit: May 05/26/10, 12:59:20 PM by MNO »

Offline Big E

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
That's going to be a really nice plot! Good work and keep us posted on this.
Let the small bucks walk. Don't assume the neighbors will shoot them if you don't. If you shoot him what chance does that buck have to grow......ZERO!

Offline Mayfly

• Master Outdoorsman
    • MNO
That's going to be a really nice plot! Good work and keep us posted on this.

Will do. I'm pretty excited about this. The soil "looks" good and the canopy is wide open for some great sun. I just need to clear everything off. The next few weeks will be challenging and then I will just have to pray for rain once the seed hits the soil!

I initially wanted to plant by July 15th but am now thinking of shooting for the 1st. I guess we will see how it goes.

Offline Randy Kaar

• Master Outdoorsman
  • Randy aka bh
So...  Being MNO food plot, We all get to hunt there?

randy
Voted #1 Outdoors Website in MN ( www.mnoutdoorsman.com )!
bonehead149@yahoo.com
bonehead@mnoutdoorsman.com

Offline deadeye

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
I like the start of it.  Don't expect it to look like some ag field this year.  It will be a few seasons for things to really take shape.
***I started out with nothing, and I still have most of it.***

Offline Realtree

• Master Outdoorsman
  • MNO Member #128
    • The "20" Rifle & Pistol Club and Straight River Archery Club
Lookin good so far. My Dad and I are looking into adding a small plot or two in our woods as well to give us a good feeding area "on property" for the whitetail and turkey we hunt. I'm not totally decided yet on what type of plot we will put in, I'll have to check the soil out and see what would be the best fit for our situation.
The "20" Rifle & Pistol Club-Board Member
Straight River Archery Club-Board Member
Youth Archery Instructor
Archery enthusiast
Deer hunter
Coyote eradicator
Bow-fishing freshman

Offline Mayfly

• Master Outdoorsman
    • MNO
Made it out to the plot today to get some work done! It was HOT! and it didn't go quite as planned.

Full report later tonight, stay tuned......  :happy1:

Offline Big E

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
Why does Scott always have to look so damn sexy?
Let the small bucks walk. Don't assume the neighbors will shoot them if you don't. If you shoot him what chance does that buck have to grow......ZERO!

Offline Mayfly

• Master Outdoorsman
    • MNO
Well plans have changed. Its seems nothing ever goes as planned. I have decided to break ground. I brought in a 8HP tiller and spent some time working the ground. The tiller did its job but it was taking a long time. I only had access to it for 4 hours so was limited in what I could do. I did make some progress but I need get back in there on next Monday and really tear it up. We plan on spending the day discing the un-broke ground and what I already tilled. Then that evening we will bring in a tractor with a pto driven tiller and really work that ground. It should look pretty good when we are done. I will post some pictures of the progress we did make.

Offline Swany

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
At least the soil is nice and dry!!
~Swany

Offline Mayfly

• Master Outdoorsman
    • MNO
Well I was back at it again this morning. Had an acquaintance come in and help with his tractor. He brought that in with a pto tiller and spent an hour on the plot. I think it is starting to look pretty good. Originally I wanted to plant this plot around the 15th of July but think we are about a month ahead of schedule and will plant right around the 15th of June depending on weather. Its funny how much we have deviated from the original plan. Every time we go in we come up with a new approach. Now that it is tilled the tentative plan is to get a drag in there monday and break and smooth it down, wait a week or so and spray and then plant. Still have a soil test to do and get some fert. and lime down if needed. The soil looks great!!

Here is a few more pics:

We have come along way from this.......

Offline bowhunter73

• Master Outdoorsman
  • Cedar, MN Member #113
« Last Edit: May 05/29/10, 12:38:55 PM by bowhunter73 »
Are you a hunter or do you just kill things? Respect the wildlife!

Offline Mayfly

• Master Outdoorsman
    • MNO
Haven't been in here much. Summer is a busy time of year but have still been working hard on the plot. Since I have updated last I have put down a Brassica mix and fertilizer. Here is my baby sprout from a week and two days ago :-) There are coming up all over the plot.....

« Last Edit: July 07/06/10, 03:02:46 PM by MNO »

Offline Mayfly

• Master Outdoorsman
    • MNO
Things are looking good on the plot.....

Whoever said deer don't eat brassicas until a frost or freeze was not only wrong but nuts. The deer are browsing this but there is a lot so we should be ok. I put a trail cam on to see who is visiting.

I also noticed some spots that arent as lush and green as the rest. There is plants in the bare areas but they are smaller and pale green and some are even yellow. I presume that the bigger plants are pulling all the nitrogen and that there is a definciency. I am kicking myself right now as it is pouring outside! I was working on the property this eve and it would of taken 20 minutes to get the urea down.  :banghead: Looks like rain next week so we should be good.

:happy1:

Offline Mayfly

• Master Outdoorsman
    • MNO

Offline Mayfly

• Master Outdoorsman
    • MNO

Offline Mayfly

• Master Outdoorsman
    • MNO
All the hard work payed off... Here is my buck killed off of this plot!

Offline Mayfly

• Master Outdoorsman
    • MNO
This plot turned out awesome!