Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!

The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: Message Typing box  (Read 8473 times)

Offline MTCOMMER

• Master Outdoorsman
 :help:

Does anyone else have problems when typing long mesages that fill up more than the box.  (IDK HOW TO EXPLAIN IT...  :scratch:)
When you are typing a long message, the screen will jump up and as you type it will jump up and down to where you are typing, but you cant see your new text unless you scroll down and hold it down there.  If you let go of a button, the screen will jump back up.....

If that makes sense to you, then you will know what im talking about, if you think im crazy and I lost my mind and are wondering what I am talking about, then im pretty sure its not happening to you.    :toast:

Anyone got an answer or a fix?!   :bow:   :bow:

Offline Mayfly

• Master Outdoorsman
    • MNO
I've never heard of that happening and never happened for me. A quick and somewhat easy fix would be to type long posts in like notepad or word and then copy and paste into the text box area....

Lets see if anyone else has this problem.

Offline Randy Kaar

• Master Outdoorsman
  • Randy aka bh
I copied and pasted some DNR news and it said I was over 400 characters and wouldnt let me post it.

randy
Voted #1 Outdoors Website in MN ( www.mnoutdoorsman.com )!
bonehead149@yahoo.com
bonehead@mnoutdoorsman.com

Offline MTCOMMER

• Master Outdoorsman
Like if I quote a long message, and then try to type below it, the message box goes all weird, it might just be my computer, but who knows!  Sometimes it works, and I can keep typing, but most of the time, it will have the cursor where I type, but my view screen will be the quote.  Its kinda hard to explain, especially if you have no clue what im talking about!

Offline MTCOMMER

• Master Outdoorsman
It happens when the figures in the message are longer than the box.  The scroller goes all weird.  It may be because I am hitting enter 1 too many times.
But of course, now when I try go to a message and see, it doesnt do it....  :scratch:
« Last Edit: May 05/21/10, 12:14:39 PM by mtcommer3518 »

Offline Swany

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
I have noticed this before too, but I just reverted to the copy and paste from word or wordpad.
~Swany

Offline MTCOMMER

• Master Outdoorsman
:help:

Does anyone else have problems when typing long mesages that fill up more than the box.  (IDK HOW TO EXPLAIN IT...  :scratch:)
When you are typing a long message, the screen will jump up and as you type it will jump up and down to where you are typing, but you cant see your new text unless you scroll down and hold it down there.  If you let go of a button, the screen will jump back up.....

If that makes sense to you, then you will know what im talking about, if you think im crazy and I lost my mind and are wondering what I am talking about, then im pretty sure its not happening to you.    :toast:

Anyone got an answer or a fix?!   :bow:   :bow:

Well, I think its with Internet Explorer, because im on Mozilla and I dont have the same problem.... IDK, I guess I will have to use firefox from now on!

Offline Bobby Bass

• Master Outdoorsman
Happens to me everytime I post a lake story and want to add the count number. End up having to type it blind because the screen jumps to top of post, you are not alone  :banghead:
Bobby Bass

Bud and now Barney working the trail again in front of me.

It is not how many years you live, it is how you lived your years!

Offline Randy Kaar

• Master Outdoorsman
  • Randy aka bh
Well Tim, Can we adjust the settings?

randy
Voted #1 Outdoors Website in MN ( www.mnoutdoorsman.com )!
bonehead149@yahoo.com
bonehead@mnoutdoorsman.com

Offline DDSBYDAY

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2012 MNO Fishing Challenge Champion
    • Advanced Tackle Innovations
It really doesn't cause a problem.  You just type.  The screen jumps around but it does not effect your post.  I just hit preview to make sure it came out right.  I see it a lot if useing multiple quotes.
Pai Mei tells the Godfather when it's time to tell Wayne  to pimp slap Eastwood.

Online deadeye

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
I have the same issue.  I can type pretty fast but I'm not too accurate so I don't like typing blind.  Yes I have used the copy paste routine but it adds a step and time.
***I started out with nothing, and I still have most of it.***

Offline Mayfly

• Master Outdoorsman
    • MNO
Still working on this.....

Thanks for all your input.

Offline Mayfly

• Master Outdoorsman
    • MNO
Ok,

With the help from some great people over at SMF I am possibly getting somewhere...

First question.

Those of you who are having the issue: Are you using IE 8?

Also,

when replying you should be able to change the size of your text box or message replying box.

I attached a picture and highlighted is the corner of the reply area and as you can see there is two little lines there that signify that the box can be manipulated. If you are going to be making a long post make it wider and longer and all your text should fit.

Let me know if any of this is helping.

Thanks

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Woody

• Master Outdoorsman
I don't have that in the bottom right corner.  I still have the slider bar though.
The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not. ~Thomas Jefferson

Got Freedom? Thank a Vet!!!
www.fawkinnae.com
www.atijigs.com

Offline Realtree

• Master Outdoorsman
  • MNO Member #128
    • The "20" Rifle & Pistol Club and Straight River Archery Club
Ok,

With the help from some great people over at SMF I am possibly getting somewhere...

First question.

Those of you who are having the issue: Are you using IE 8?

I have had the same issue when typing long posts and YES I am also using Internet Explorer 8 and I DO NOT see anything in the bottom right corner of my screen to manipulate the box size either. Thanks for working on this Tim
« Last Edit: May 05/22/10, 02:59:50 PM by Scott »
The "20" Rifle & Pistol Club-Board Member
Straight River Archery Club-Board Member
Youth Archery Instructor
Archery enthusiast
Deer hunter
Coyote eradicator
Bow-fishing freshman

Offline Mayfly

• Master Outdoorsman
    • MNO
From what I am understanding this is a IE 8 Issue.

Somehwere, somehow you need to switch to compatibility mode for IE7.I will look inot this.

Tim

Offline MTCOMMER

• Master Outdoorsman
I am also using IE8 I did notice with firefox I didn't have that problem. I mentioned that earlier. I will mess around with some settings when I get home! There must be a tweek somewhere!
Thanks for workin on this Tim. I'm glad its not just me with this problem!

Offline Mayfly

• Master Outdoorsman
    • MNO
Internet Explorer 8 is a new release and some websites may not yet be ready for the new browser. Click the Compatibility View toolbar button to display the website as viewed in Internet Explorer 7, which will correct display problems like misaligned text, images, or text boxes. This option is on a per site basis and all other sites will continue to display with Internet Explorer 8 functionality. When you click on the Compatibility View button for a site, you don’t need to do it again as the next time you visit that site the browser will show it in compatibility mode. If for some reason you’d like to go back to browsing with Internet Explorer 8 functionality on that site, simply click the Compatibility View button again.

However, sites will most likely take a very long time to adapt themselves fully to the new features of IE8, as according to the W3Counter, over half of all browsers on the Internet are IE6 and IE7, with less than 2% going to IE8. IE8’s Compatibility View may be Microsoft’s way of accommodating for the fact that most users simply do not wish to upgrade, and this may be causing serious issues within the Redmond giant. In fact, Microsoft takes the Compatibility View so seriously that Microsoft recently moved around the icon and updated the notifications to make the Compatibility View a more obvious and easier to activate function because many users simply elected to not use it.

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: May 05/22/10, 04:45:46 PM by MNO »

Offline Realtree

• Master Outdoorsman
  • MNO Member #128
Thanks Tim, the Compatibility View icon shows up on the very top of my screen towards the right side and when I clicked on it it seemed to adjust things to view correctly.
Youth Archery Instructor
Archery enthusiast
Deer hunter
Coyote eradicator
Bow-fishing freshman

Offline Mayfly

• Master Outdoorsman
    • MNO
Thanks Tim, the Compatibility View icon shows up on the very top of my screen towards the right side and when I clicked on it it seemed to adjust things to view correctly.

:rocker;

Offline Woody

• Master Outdoorsman
Ah yes, I see it too. Thanks! Maybe this will solve the problem I tried to explain to you before Tim?!  ;)
The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not. ~Thomas Jefferson

www.fawkinnae.com
www.atijigs.com

Offline Mayfly

• Master Outdoorsman
    • MNO
Ah yes, I see it too. Thanks! Maybe this will solve the problem I tried to explain to you before Tim?!  ;)

Which one??

Offline Woody

• Master Outdoorsman
With the slider jumping up and down when I tried to paste and or edit my posts.

www.fawkinnae.com
www.atijigs.com

Offline Mayfly

• Master Outdoorsman
    • MNO
With the slider jumping up and down when I tried to paste and or edit my posts.

Ahhhh yes

Online deadeye

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Internet explorer 8 = yes
Box in corner  = No

Offline Realtree

• Master Outdoorsman
  • MNO Member #128
Internet explorer 8 = yes
Box in corner  = No

deadeye, look at the top of your Internet Explorer window on the mid right side of your tool bar and you should see the link right next to the drop down menu where you type in the url address of the webpage you want to go to. It appears as a broken page and if you scroll across it it should pop up a balloon that says "Compatibility View". Let me know if you have any problems locating this link on your top tool bar.
« Last Edit: May 05/23/10, 02:03:22 PM by Scott »
Youth Archery Instructor
Archery enthusiast
Deer hunter
Coyote eradicator
Bow-fishing freshman

Offline MTCOMMER

• Master Outdoorsman
SUCCESS!  So much better, since i hunt and peck when I type, it makes it much easier that I can see now when I screw up.

THANKS TIM, and everyone else!   :happy1:

Online deadeye

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
I never used that broken paper icon before.  Maybe that will do it.  I hope it doesn't break a bunch of other stuff. :rotflmao: