Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!

The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: Heading to North Carolina  (Read 980 times)

Offline MTCOMMER

• Master Outdoorsman
Hey guys, Im leaving for North Carolina today and spending 4 days down there for some vacation, sight seeing, etc (with the girlfriend).  I hope to do some fishing on the piers, I have never done it before and it sounds like it can be pretty fun.

Does anyone have any experience with fishing on piers, should I bring my own stuff or just use what I can rent on the pier?  Any tips or advice for me, and what fish might be tastey to eat?  Thanks!   :dancinred:

-Matt-

Offline corny13

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2012 ROCKBASS CHAMPION 2014
My Daughter and Son-in-Law( Marine Pilot) are moving to the Wilmington area as I write this.  I just got back from Corpus Cristi TX where they were living.  WHen down there last week I just went to Walmart and got a nice large Arbor spinning set up cheap and went fishing off their dock with live shrimp.  Here is a Red fish I caught that we pan blackened.  I was online last night looking at what to fish for in NC when I go visit again.  The NC beaches have some great fishing and in the summer Flounder are what you want to catch...also good to eat!  Sea trout (weakfish) and Redfish are also there then, as well as Sheepshead ( not related to Minnesota sheepshead)... all good to eat.  It looks like you can catch King mackeral, Bluefish, and Bonita off the piers also...would need a big salt spining rod/reel for those. When I was a kid my parents took up to Myrtle beach south of Wilmington  I caught a couple flounder and some small whiting and popanos off the pier but they were too small to eat.  I would wait and see down there what others are using and if cant rent buy a set up down there, our walleye gear doesnt hold enough line.  Pier fishing you need a net and rope to lower down to pull up your catch.  Ill probably hire a guide for a day when I go down and fish inshore.