Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!

The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: We lost a friend here at MNO.  (Read 2063 times)

Offline Mayfly

• Master Outdoorsman
    • MNO
I can't believe I am just hearing this now. It seems like it was yesterday Joe and I were chatting on the phone. I literally just found out 10 minutes ago and I have a stomach ache.

Joe Moeller known to many as "metro joe", "high life" and most recently here at mno as "Joe"  has lost his battle with Cancer. He left behind a wife, 3 sons and many friends and family.

Joe was a founding member here and number 16 on the list. I don't even know what to say, i'm shocked. Joe and I spent many days a field chasing roosters and we even caught a few walleyes together. He was one of the few that I gave some of my favorite coordinates to on Mille Lacs and he returned the favor with a few of his own. What a great guy he was, I don't even know what to say..... I'm very saddened by this.

Offline Mayfly

• Master Outdoorsman
    • MNO
This was a great day on the water. Here is an article and a couple pictures from a day I spent on the water with Joe.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Every Monday morning I call a long list of baitshops to compile the fishing report for the week’s issue. Last week when I was making the calls I kept hearing the same thing "fishing is great", "Fishing is good", and “all area lakes are doing really good”! After all the good reports I was beginning to become somewhat skeptical. My next call was to Brad at Frankie’s Bait Shop in Chisago, MN. Of course, Brad went on to tell me that the fishing was good in his area as well! "Stop right there! I have called 5 bait shops prior to you and everyone is telling me the same thing, apparently every lake in the state is producing fish right now." It seemed that Brad took it more as a challenge and told me that if I didn't believe it to come up Wednesday evening and try some local hot spots. Well if the fishing is indeed good than I had better take advantage of it so I agreed. I made all the plans to get out of town for the evening and when Wednesday evening rolled around a buddy Joe Moeller and I headed up to Chisago. We stopped by Frankie’s Bait shop to talk to Brad and get the low down. He pointed me in the direction of Chisago Lake and told me right where to go and what to do, easy enough. We hopped back in the car and off to the lake we were. After launching the boat and finding the first spot that he directed us to it was about 5:30pm. We were fishing a point on the NE area of the lake in 14 - 17 feet of water. Brad had mentioned that some people had been having some success with walleyes out there. Our set-up was very basic, a plain colored hook and a leech all under a slip bobber. We set our depths for about 12 inches of off the bottom and started fishing. It wasn't 5 minutes and Joe had already landed his first walleye! It was a perfect eater at 16 inches. About 10 minutes passed and Joe had another fish on! I had caught a couple small sunnies but no walleyes yet. I was beginning to eye up his set-up and ask questions about his depth. So far, so good. We both went on to catch about 30 sunfish each that were all keep-able and a few more walleyes for Joe. I didn't catch a single walleye, maybe next time. I was lucky enough to catch 3 enormous bass. I think the biggest one was pushing 4 - 5 lbs. When I first hooked into it, I thought maybe it was my trophy walleye but to my suprise it was my trophy bass. We took a quick picture and released the fish immediately as it is a catch and release lake for Bass. All in all it was a great night! We caught a half dozen eater walleyes, a few nice bass, and enough sunnies to feed an army. I guess the fishing is good! It is my job to get honest reliable reports for our readers and if I think they are telling "fish tales” I may just have to pop in and try some of these lakes.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline JohnWester

• Master Outdoorsman
  • Kabetogama, MN
wow... too young. Joe was a great guy. Rest in peace buddy and my prayers to his family.
If a gun kills people then I can blame a pen for my misspells?

IBOT# 286 big_fish_guy

Offline sandmannd

• Master Outdoorsman
    • Chasin' Tail Fishin
I first met Joe a couple of years ago when I needed a partner to fish in an ice contest. He told me he wanted to do it so I picked him up and we went fishing. I always enjoy meeting someone off forums and Joe was no exception to this. After spending 8 hours on the ice with him I was happy to call him a friend. We chatted quite a bit on the forums and made it out a couple of more times. He told me about all he had been through. I had just gone through a bout of cancer the year before and we somewhat bonded over it.

Joe will be missed and my heart goes out to his family. He was truly a great guy!!
Friends are like buttcheeks..........crap might separate them, but they come together in the end.

Offline Outdoors Junkie

• MNO Director
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • AKA "Outdoors Junkie"
My thoughts and prayers go out to your family Joe.  I am so sorry to hear this...so sad.
www.mnoutdoorsman.com
Voted #1 Outdoors Website in MN

Offline Mayfly

• Master Outdoorsman
    • MNO
I first met Joe a couple of years ago when I needed a partner to fish in an ice contest. He told me he wanted to do it so I picked him up and we went fishing. I always enjoy meeting someone off forums and Joe was no exception to this. After spending 8 hours on the ice with him I was happy to call him a friend. We chatted quite a bit on the forums and made it out a couple of more times. He told me about all he had been through. I had just gone through a bout of cancer the year before and we somewhat bonded over it.

Joe will be missed and my heart goes out to his family. He was truly a great guy!!

I remember that trip. Joe had called me and mentioned this to me. Really wish I could of made it. This was during the time it was getting harder and harder for him to get out on his own. This whole deal bums me out. I have been meaning to drop a card at his house, will have to do it this week. If anyone has any words for his family post here and I can pass it along.

Tim