Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!

The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: food plot tips  (Read 4119 times)

Offline whiteoakbuck

• Master Outdoorsman
me and a buddie are putting in a few plots this spring just wondering what is a good mix to go with we are thinking about Imperial double cross any tips will help thak
Hunting is not life and death. It is more important than that.

Offline beeker

• Master Outdoorsman
I know I'm an ametuer when it comes to my food plots. but I've managed to learn a few things over the years of my battle to establish em. one of the things I found with the advertised "mixes" is they don't do what they claim to do. the land dr on this site has great advice and offers good prices. I would suggest talking to him letting him know the area your in and finding out what will grow best there. a few things to consider.
my best food plots in mcrath grow turnips and clover. and the deer mow em for me. I get my seed at petersons in north branch.. I like the people there and  it's close to home. I can get just turnips if I want or whatever and they don't mind my ignorant questions and have sound advice.
If science fiction has taught me anything, it's that you can never have enough guns and ammo when the zombies come back to life... "WS"

Offline whiteoakbuck

• Master Outdoorsman
I know I'm an ametuer when it comes to my food plots. but I've managed to learn a few things over the years of my battle to establish em. one of the things I found with the advertised "mixes" is they don't do what they claim to do. the land dr on this site has great advice and offers good prices. I would suggest talking to him letting him know the area your in and finding out what will grow best there. a few things to consider.
my best food plots in mcrath grow turnips and clover. and the deer mow em for me. I get my seed at petersons in north branch.. I like the people there and  it's close to home. I can get just turnips if I want or whatever and they don't mind my ignorant questions and have sound advice.
oh ok how do i get in contact with the land dr on here? we will take any help we can find

Offline beeker

• Master Outdoorsman
go to member lookup.. you can PM him. where is your food plot going to be located? is the area clear? what type of equipment do you plan/have access too?
If science fiction has taught me anything, it's that you can never have enough guns and ammo when the zombies come back to life... "WS"

Offline whiteoakbuck

• Master Outdoorsman
between north branch and stacy seem like sandy soil it will be in a old crop field i have a buddie with a bobcat disc brush hog tiller attachment for the cat the big thing is going to be laying the seed down not quite sure how we are gonna do that yet the plot will be about 4-5 acres when finished

Offline beeker

• Master Outdoorsman
olsons in north branch has a "plot master" you can rent that seeds/disks/plants/compacts... I think it's around 100 a day if you rent it. but for what your talking about it may work perfect for ya.. never used one myself.

Offline whiteoakbuck

• Master Outdoorsman
olsons in north branch has a "plot master" you can rent that seeds/disks/plants/compacts... I think it's around 100 a day if you rent it. but for what your talking about it may work perfect for ya.. never used one myself.
wow did not know that thanks man all great tips that we needed

Offline beeker

• Master Outdoorsman
good luck.

Offline dakids

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • 2013 MNO Fishing Challenge Champ!
try rye grain. NOT and I repeat NOT rye grass.  Fixes nitrogen like alfalfa and the deer love it.
Anything that is free is worth saving up for.

Offline HUNTER2

• Master Outdoorsman
I'll second the rye grain. I tried it this last year and the deer loved it. If you can spray the field with round up, let it grow back a little and hit it again. You can also till it about 2 or 3 times prior to planting to help control the weeds. Make sure your seed doesn't have any rye grass in it or it will take over your plot and it's hard to get rid of. I also put turnips and clover closer to the stand for later hunting after slug season. I just used a fertilizer spreader on the back of my 4 wheeler to spread the seed. Thats after I tilled it of course. I mix some fertilizer in with the seed. Then I drag it with a old drag I bought for 15.00. This last year I bought one of those packers from Runnings when they were on sale. You can also spread the seed with a hand spreader pretty fast. Depends on how much money you want to spend. I bought some rye grain last year from a seed dealer. The mix for turnips and clover and rape and such I bought from the Land Dr in Glenwood. It's only 30 miles from home and we have a camper on a lake by there. Soil sample test would be nice, I have never had one yet but I heard it helps to determine how much fertilizer and lime you might need. Good luck.
« Last Edit: January 01/12/11, 07:58:13 AM by HUNTER2 »
HUNT & FISH TELL YA DROP
I.B.O.T.'s 249 & 250
 Handle every stressful situation like a dog.  If
                        you can't eat it or hump it.

Piss on it and walk away

Offline Mayfly

• Master Outdoorsman
    • MNO
This year my main plot is going to be Clover and Rape mix. The deer hammered this until it snowed. I am going to put more rape in this year as the bucks seemed to prefer the Rape. I recommend buying your seed from your local mill or going through Frigid Forage. John has some great seed!

Offline beeker

• Master Outdoorsman
i see fleet farm has seed on sale this week. i may have to stop in on my way home from work and write down some numbers to see if it's worth it. looks like allot of seed