Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!

The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: Trailering Time!!  (Read 1160 times)

Offline FireRanger

• Master Outdoorsman
Well, since it's almost that time of year for me....I'd thought I'd send out a reminder to the rest of you....just in case! For me and my hunting crew, there is nothing that kills an awesome weekend of hunting then a blown bearing or hub on the trailer. My group and I have been stuck on the side of the road on a few occasions by bearings that have blown out and left the trailer 'high' and dry. Nothing frustrates me more then an inconvenience that could have been avoided through proper preparation.
Some of us only use our trailers for the hunting season. Trailer bearings and hubs should be checked before and during every season especially if you go in and out of water with them and travel long distances between. Water, sand and debris in a bearing will destroy it. Jack the trailer up and check the bearings by grabbing the tire at 12 and 6 and then 9 and 3 (on the clock). There should not be very much play if not at all. If there is, you might want to get them changed/looked at. I grew up having to repack the bearings on our boat trailer every spring. It's a messy job but one you will thank yourself for. I also carry a bearing kit with me now which includes a spare hub, new bearings complete with races, grease, hammer, screw driver, pliers, emery paper, rags, rubber gloves and a cold chisel.
Hope this helps someone out before they become the next person I help on the roadside in the middle of no where. While your at it....check the lights. Nothing like splitting a ticket between the guys because you forgot to check the lights before you left.

Happy Trailering!!! ;)
Going South......in a manner of speaking!

Offline deadeye

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Not a bad idea.  I always feel sorry for the guys parked along the highway with the wheel off the trailer.  This is one case that a check out can really save the day.
***I started out with nothing, and I still have most of it.***

Online JohnWester

• Master Outdoorsman
  • Kabetogama, MN
anyone see the guy whose boat was in the median just south of Garrison last sunday? looks like his trailer came off the ball or the tongue snapped, but it was a mess. Nice brand new looking 17' lund or alumacraft.
If a gun kills people then I can blame a pen for my misspells?

IBOT# 286 big_fish_guy

Offline FireRanger

• Master Outdoorsman
That my friend.............would be devastating!! :cry: I think someone tried to steal my hitch a while ago because I checked it the other day and the pin was gone :scratch:! Glad I checked it!
Going South......in a manner of speaking!

Offline thunderpout

• Master Outdoorsman
FireRanger..... you mean TRYING to get your friends to split the fine!  :rotflmao: (you have really good friends! :rotflmao:)  But yeah, I could not agree more :bow:... wheels/tires/bearings are so overlooked... its so cheap to be proactive with them whether you take care of it yourself or have the local shop take care of it for you.... so much time, money and fretting saved in the long run.... I could tell stories of many a bearing/tire/wheel fiasco from past trips... the one common thread ive found is, it NEVER happens in a good or convieniant place or at a good time.... and dont feel safe just because you have bearing buddies or the like.... false security!  They help, but you still have to check and replace bearings reguardless of what you use....

Offline Go Big Red!

• Master Outdoorsman
anyone see the guy whose boat was in the median just south of Garrison last sunday? looks like his trailer came off the ball or the tongue snapped, but it was a mess. Nice brand new looking 17' lund or alumacraft.

I had a trailer break lose off he dump truck I was driving this summer.  Scared the crap out of me and the car behind me.  Thank god for safety chains or someone could have been killed.
Take a kid hunting and fishing... It'll be the best thing for generations to come.