Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!

The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: Starting a high school trap team  (Read 1108 times)

Offline Go Big Red!

• Master Outdoorsman
Well, the title says it all.

Myself and another parent, who's son attends and is in a class I teach, are going to start a high school trap team.  (I'll reveal the high school later but it is in the NW metro).  We have a handbook started and are waiting to hear back from an area sportsman's club in regards to using their facility for our "home field".

Any suggestions on how this might go smoother would be appreciated.  Obviously, safety is job #1 with our kids, but what else should we consider?  No idea is a bad one so let's hear them.
Take a kid hunting and fishing... It'll be the best thing for generations to come.

Offline dakids

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • 2013 MNO Fishing Challenge Champ!
Contact other trap team coaches and get their input.  Do's and don'ts
Anything that is free is worth saving up for.

Offline dakids

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • 2013 MNO Fishing Challenge Champ!
You could also run this with a hunting club in school.  My daughter loves "hunt club"
« Last Edit: September 09/25/10, 10:39:50 PM by dakids »
Anything that is free is worth saving up for.

Offline HD

• Administrator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • #1 Judge (Retired)
    • Minnesota Outdoorsman
I've never done this sort of thing before, and don't know anything about starting one up.
IMO, I would make sure they had their hunter safety certificate as a pre-requisit to signing up for the team.

But, you prolly already thought of that.....  :sorry:
Mama always said, If you ain't got noth'in nice to say, don't say noth'in at all!

Offline FireRanger

• Master Outdoorsman
IMO, I would leave the 'Hunt' part of it out. Some people do not want to be associated with it if it involves taking wildlife. After all you don't have to be a hunter to enjoy sporting clays. You could have a separate club being a hunt club for sure. I would do as said, contact other coaches with teams and model your program after theirs. It doesn't have to be exact even though the MSHSL will have they're input and you won't be able to deviate from that. Other then the hunter safety I would put my own little training on as well, just to make sure your bases are covered especially if they have never shot sporting clays before. As we all know, it can get pretty exciting and competitive too. Let me know if you need help during the day, as you know, I'm fairly open.
Going South......in a manner of speaking!

Offline Go Big Red!

• Master Outdoorsman
IMO, I would leave the 'Hunt' part of it out. Some people do not want to be associated with it if it involves taking wildlife. After all you don't have to be a hunter to enjoy sporting clays. You could have a separate club being a hunt club for sure. I would do as said, contact other coaches with teams and model your program after theirs. It doesn't have to be exact even though the MSHSL will have they're input and you won't be able to deviate from that. Other then the hunter safety I would put my own little training on as well, just to make sure your bases are covered especially if they have never shot sporting clays before. As we all know, it can get pretty exciting and competitive too. Let me know if you need help during the day, as you know, I'm fairly open.

If your schedule changes, you may be added to the coaching staff.
Take a kid hunting and fishing... It'll be the best thing for generations to come.

Offline deadeye

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
I know the prez of the local MDHA chapter.  They are always glad to help youth outdoor activites when it relates to shooting hunting etc.  If you would like to discuss send me a PM.
***I started out with nothing, and I still have most of it.***