Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!

The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: Visitors to Lake Vermilion, Soudan Underground  (Read 1229 times)

Offline HD

• Administrator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • #1 Judge (Retired)
    • Minnesota Outdoorsman
News Releases
Visitors to Lake Vermilion, Soudan Underground
(Released October 15, 2010)

Warm fall temperatures have brought many hikers in for a “sneak peak” at Lake Vermilion State Park near Tower. The Minnesota Department of Natural Resources (DNR) is reminding visitors that it’s a good idea to wear blaze orange while exploring the new park this fall.

“It’s a very active time up at Lake Vermilion and Soudan,” said Jim Essig, manager of Soudan Underground Mine State Park, which is adjacent to Lake Vermilion State Park. “In the interest of public safety, we are encouraging visitors to wear blaze orange jackets, vests and hats when hiking in the parks.”

DNR crews are working throughout Lake Vermilion State Park mapping and brushing some of the existing trails, getting ready for a special firearms deer hunt, and signing park boundaries.  Some DNR crews are using motorized vehicles along hiking trails to conduct their work, so wearing blaze orange will ensure that DNR crews and hunters are aware of a visitor’s presence, according to Essig.

During the special resource management deer hunt that will occur Nov. 6-14, Lake Vermilion State Park will be open only to individuals with a special hunt permit for taking antlerless deer and legal bucks. Fifty special firearms deer permits were made available for the hunt; the application deadline for the hunt was Sept. 9.

Soudan Underground Mine State Park will also conduct a muzzleloader hunt Nov. 27 through Dec. 12. Twenty permits were made available for that hunt. Soudan Underground Mine State Park will remain open to visitors during the special muzzleloader hunt.

Visitors should check for hunt-related information at the Soudan Underground Mine State Park headquarters and look for signage related to the hunts.

Mama always said, If you ain't got noth'in nice to say, don't say noth'in at all!