Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!

The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: what would you do?  (Read 1443 times)

Offline dakids

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • 2013 MNO Fishing Challenge Champ!
Here is a little backround about our hunting camp.  We purchased our little piece of heaven 5 years ago (26 acres). The guy we bought it from kept 10 acres. The ten is his house and about 7 acres of pasture. He doesn't hunt but his son in law and other family members do.  When we were up there the first year they told us that they hunt on the south side of the road and we were to hunt on the north.  We did. we have added food plots and done a few timber stand improvements.  The last 3 years they havn't shot more than 1 deer each year while we have shot 5 deer each year.  Last monday while I was chating with the old guy he informed me that the kids were planning on hunting the north side of the road next year.  It is state land to the west of us and we do have a few ladder stands in there ourselves.  If kind of rubs us the wrong way if you know what I'm talking about.  We are thinking about not having a food plot on the west side of the property.  I will be bow hunting next fall so I will be able to put out a few ladder stands well in advance of the rifle season. 

What should we do or what would you do?  The old guy watches our land for us when we are not there.

Anything that is free is worth saving up for.

Offline finch

• Outdoorsman
I'm confused.  they plan to hunt YOUR land?  or the state land?  and where do you kill your deer?  your property or the state land? 
"Give me your tired, your hungry, your poor... It's Americans that are tired, hungry, and poor.  so until you take care of that, close the book!" - Edward Norton, American History X

Offline Go Big Red!

• Master Outdoorsman
 :scratch:

So you bought 26 of the 36 acres from him.  I assume that the 26 is in your name which makes it private property so no, they need to hunt on their land or on public.

If the 26 isn't in your name, then you have some work to do at the court house and get the 36 acres divided into the 26 and his 10.  Same theory applies to hunting.

Take a kid hunting and fishing... It'll be the best thing for generations to come.

Offline FireRanger

• Master Outdoorsman
I think I understand......they historically hunted the south side (they're land), you are adjacent to them across the road (north) and the state land is beside you. If this is the case and I am correct in my thinking, it bothers you that these hunters have decided to 'move in' on your 'area'. If this is the case then you have no choice in the matter but to unfortunately have to grin and bare it. If this isn't whats happening then you may have some discussing to do with the family you have been hunting beside....you don't want to crap on the people who watch/purchased the land from....it will just sour the whole experience for all. I would use the courts, if needed, as a last resort. Just my opinion.
Going South......in a manner of speaking!

Offline BiggA

• Master Outdoorsman
It sucks when people move in on your spots, however if I had hunted the same area for years and rarely harvested animals while others in the area always did on public land near me id be heading there as well.

Offline Mayfly

• Master Outdoorsman
    • MNO
Public land? What can you do. I guess you'll just have to wake up and get to your stands a little earlier. When they see you already sitting in the area they may be a little discouraged. After a season of this I imagine next year they will hunt elsewhere. But it is public so all you can do is accept it.