Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!

The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: Wolves Attack Wisconsin Hunting Dogs  (Read 3129 times)

Offline Lee Borgersen

• AKA "Smallmouthguide"
  • Pro-Staff
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • 2008-2011-2018-2019 2020 Fish Challenge Champ!
    • Lee's Lake Geneva Guide Service
http://www.northlandsnewscenter.com/home/Wolves-Attack-Wisconsin-Hunting-Dogs-104053694.html

Wolves Attack Wisconsin Hunting Dogs
By KBJR News 1

September 29, 2010
RED CLIFF, WI. --- Jimmy 'Finn' Nykanen has been hunting North American Black Bears with dogs since he was old enough to hold a gun.

"It's kind of like a sport. I don't fish, and I don't golf," Nykanen says, explaining the life of a dog-wielding bear hunter, or 'houndsman.'

For Nykanen, the love of hound hunting has transformed wildly-decorated camp southwest of Bayfield. Comical bear lawn ornaments populate the yard. A dozen hunting hounds sleep out back. He calls it 'Finnsville' -- a place where he and his favorite hunting dog 'Reuben' enjoy the love of the chase.

"One day last week, the bear bit him in the ham... right here on the hip" said Nykanen, describing the dangers of bear hunting, as he lavished attention on his favorite hound.

Lately, however, Nykanen says bears have been the least of Reuben's fears. That's because Wisconsin's growing wolf population has lately turned its attention to dogs invading their territory, and that fact has made Nykanen rather nervous.

"And then they eat 'em. All that's left when they're done - they eat the bones and all -- is the skull, and maybe the collar that's on 'em. That's all that's left," Nykanen said, describing the wolf attacks he's seen.

How does the DNR deal with problem wolves attacking dogs? Where is this problem behavior happening? Should people be concerned about their safety? Click on the video link above for the whole story!
Proud Member of the CWCS.
http://www.cwcs.org

Member of Walleyes For Tomorrow.
www.walleyesfortomorrow.org

Many BWCA Reports
http://leeslakegenevaguideservice.com/boundry_%2712.htm

If you help someone when they're in trouble, they will remember you when they're in trouble again

Offline Go Big Red!

• Master Outdoorsman
Same thing happened to a friend's cousin's dog in Balsam Lake, Wi a few years ago.  They were tracking bear and then he and his dog were surrounded by wolves.  He climbed a tree and watched the wolves devour the dog.  He meet back up with the rest of his hunting party with only the collar left.

Something needs to change before it's a human being....
Take a kid hunting and fishing... It'll be the best thing for generations to come.

Offline BiggA

• Master Outdoorsman
This is a tough subject to handle in my opinion. We enter the wolves territory they do what they do naturally. This is a one in hundreds possibly thousands type thing. Many more hound hunters go without issue than with. I am not saying you should not be able to defend yourself or dog against danger but I do not believe we should wipe the wolf off the planet either. As long as humans go into the woods there will be encounters with wild dangerous animals. Tough subject to find an answer for.

Offline FireRanger

• Master Outdoorsman
I totally agree....the wolves were here first. I believe that man's encroachent has forced them into a different behaviour. We can't expect go into the wild and have the wild bow to us. We have to remember that the woods and valleys are theirs not ours. I think to some degree we have enabled the wolf by giving it more readily available food sources like livestock, pets and so on. The population density of our areas are forcing them into more contact with us. You can't blame it on them....believe me, the wolves are just trying to be wolves. I'm just playing devil's advocate here. The population density (of people) back home where I am from is SIGNIFICANTLY less. Wolves are common. Wildlife is plentiful but the interaction between us and them was minimal besides the sightings of course. The odd time you'd hear of a pet being taken but for the most part the had enough room and sustenance to steer clear of the populated areas. Wolves have been known to have territory's of up to 425 square miles. Because of their reclusive behaviour, their numbers are mostly estimated by limited counting and availability of key prey.
It is a very difficult thing to try and figure out, balance and understanding I think are two key things that we as a society need to think about. I think I'm up to 4 cents on this subject  :coffee:

BTW, I do feel bad for the people who have lost their pets, it's losing a loved one. I have a pointer and would be devastated if I had him eaten by another animal.
BTW #2 The present MN wolf population is estimated at around 2900 to 3000. Estimated population where I am from is between 9000 to 10000
« Last Edit: September 09/30/10, 09:44:53 AM by FireRanger »
Going South......in a manner of speaking!

Offline JECAMERON

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
What exactly does the law say about killing a wolf? I'm sure you can to defend human life but can you for a dog?

Offline FireRanger

• Master Outdoorsman
What exactly does the law say about killing a wolf? I'm sure you can to defend human life but can you for a dog?

I think you'd have to ask a DNR Officer that question. I think the burden of proof would be on the defendant to prove that they're life was in danger. Pretty hard to do without bite marks I'd think ;D Nor sure?

Offline Go Big Red!

• Master Outdoorsman

I don't think you can shoot it, still under federal regs.   :scratch:  But I sure as heck would rip off a few warning shots to scare them off.
Take a kid hunting and fishing... It'll be the best thing for generations to come.

Offline The General

• MNO Staff
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • Smackdown King
1.  Who goes tracking bear and doesn't bring a gun or 5?

2.  Any wolf I see in the wild is a dead wolf.  Stay away from me and you won't be bothered.
Eastwood v. Wayne Challenge Winner 2011

The Boogie Man may check his closet for John Wayne but John Wayne checks under his bed for Clint Eastwood

Offline snow

• Master Outdoorsman
1st off I don't condone bear hunting with dogs let alone over bait,but thats just me,seen alot of bears shot over bait with bow/rifle and even from a boat in alaska,what gets me is how they cry sometimes just like a human when they get hit,freaky`

With that said law or no law any wolf or wolves attacking my dog would have a very bad day,most likely their last day.
Hevi Shot Pro Staff
Hevi Shot.com

Offline 22lex

• Master Outdoorsman
  • Photo-op
I think in the Star and Trib it read that they wiped out a pack that was getting too "friendly" with the locals over in WI. Sounds like 4/5 dogs killed by them, and a few others tore up pretty bad.

It was getting to a point where they wolves were not the least bit afraid of humans so the Federal agents got rid of 'em.

Excellent reason to have a harvest season for them.....bring down the numbers, and give them the real fear of humans they need.
Marry an outdoors woman. Then if you throw her out into the yard on a cold night, she can still survive.
-WC Fields

Offline Go Big Red!

• Master Outdoorsman
I don't care what a tag costs for wolf season, count me in when the time comes.

Offline FireRanger

• Master Outdoorsman

Offline FireRanger

• Master Outdoorsman
I don't care what a tag costs for wolf season, count me in when the time comes.
:cry: :cry: poor wolves :cry: :cry:  :fudd:  :rotflmao:

Go get em Red!!

Offline thunderpout

• Master Outdoorsman
22lex said it.... I can deal with having wolves in the woods.... its the way it should be.... but they dont fear man like they once did and should.... you cant legally shoot a wolf for any reason right now, to protect a pets life or our own.  Thats plain wrong. :bs:  Had 3 or 4 surrounding me(howling in the middle of the day) and my setter, Drummer this fall (few blocks or so away) when grouse hunting by myself.... a bit unerving, I dont fear them, but I do for my dog.... shoulda seen the hair on his back and neck standing up on end when they were working their way around us..... :doah:  Does anyone sell kevlar suits/armour for english setters? :whistling: