Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!

The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: Huge coon  (Read 2197 times)

Offline GRIZ

• Master Outdoorsman
Got a coon the other day that I knew was good sized but turned out bigger than I thought. I wished I would have weighted it before I skun it rather than an after thought.

Here is a better look at the scale looks to be right around 42

I think this is prolly the second biggest I've ever gotten.
"The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first."
~Thomas Jefferson

Offline rod-man

• Outdoorsman
I got one once  that went 57lbs  she was huge
she had almost no belly hair from it dragging on the ground and stuff
all scarred up and callous that was  35yrs ago she lived in a swamp behind some restraunts
and I made a set near the grease tanks and got the old girl
wish I had mounted her  I got $80 for her reg. XLs were bringing $20-25
If I can find a pic I'll post it
Be safe  share the water <*)}}}}}><~~~~

Offline GRIZ

• Master Outdoorsman
Biggest I've ever got was 45 and that one was longer than this one. If memory serves correct that was back in 1982. I can see how a coon could pack on the lbs living behind a resaurant like you mentioned.
"The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first."
~Thomas Jefferson

Offline JECAMERON

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
What do you do with the carcass?

Offline GRIZ

• Master Outdoorsman
Use it for bait stations.
~Thomas Jefferson

Offline jkcmj

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
My uncle used to smoke coon meat.  He lived about 5 miles away and would bring big heaping turkey roasters full over for us kids once in awhile. Very delicious!

A friend had a pet coon for about 10 years.  She got up over 60 lbs, couldn't even climb into trees in his yard anymore.  The last few years all she would eat was fruit loops, all it's teeth had fallen out by that time. Very spoiled.  His wife buried it when it died of Heart attack I suppose.  She wouldn't allow him to skin it out.

Offline GRIZ

• Master Outdoorsman
It is good if prepared right. It also must be cleaned of fat and grease or it isn't so good. It's more a southern food from what I gather as down there the pelts are worth little but they trap em just for the food market.

If the lard is rendered proper it's great too.
~Thomas Jefferson