Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!

The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: Scope ?  (Read 2656 times)

Offline GRIZ

• Master Outdoorsman
Has anyone heard of the scope brand NcStar. I was wondering what they are like? Basically if there any good. They are relatively cheap and I havn't usually had good luck with cheap scopes. Let me know any thoughts or info.
"The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first."
~Thomas Jefferson

Offline jigglestick

• Master Outdoorsman
  • Ice house rentals on Lake Winnibigosh
    • www.campjigglestick.com
Griz I have not heard of them, but my kids are allways telling me I gotta get out more  :)
it is so true IMO that you get what you pay for.

though all lower end scopes are not junk, some are and should only be used for display, again, IMO.

I found some middle ground scopes and did some comparison.
the one that stood out to me was the swift line of scopes.
I have had two and I am very satisfied with them and I will buy another.
life time full replacement warranty. thats hard to beat.
take a kid hunting and fishing!!

THWACK KILLS!!

Offline Benny

• Master Outdoorsman
NcStar optics have been around since 1985, based out of El Monte, California.
They offer a limited life time warrinty that is suposed to be a leader of the industry.

I have read some good reports on these optics, but have also heard a tale or two just like any other optic manufacture.

For the price I wouldn't heasatate to buy one to try, but as Jiggle said you may well get what you pay for.

I wouldn't expect them to be on the same leavel as swarovski optics   or Burris.

Benny
"What we have here is a failure to communicate"

Offline GRIZ

• Master Outdoorsman
Well I did go buy one. Kinda like you said for a try. Figuring at the price it'd be worth a shot.
"The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first."
~Thomas Jefferson

Offline Benny

• Master Outdoorsman
I see my daughter was eating candy and typing on the keyboard again.

My spelling isn't great but I usualy don't spell that bad.

Griz, keep us posted on the quality of that scope.

Benny
"What we have here is a failure to communicate"

Offline GRIZ

• Master Outdoorsman
I see my daughter was eating candy and typing on the keyboard again.

My spelling isn't great but I usualy don't spell that bad.

Griz, keep us posted on the quality of that scope.

Benny

That's why they have spel check. C I don't need an excuse.
~Thomas Jefferson

Offline GRIZ

• Master Outdoorsman
Well I got the scope mounted atop it's new companion. A Savage stainless/synthetic with the bull barrel. Chambered for 220 swift.

Here's a better picture of the scope. It's a 3 X 12 power with a 50 mm tube and lighted reticles.

It took about 10 shots to get it sighted in. The first one was about 6" low and 4" left. next shot I realized I turned the dials in the wrong direction ??? 3rd shot was high and right. forth was low but basically right on.

It was getting to bother me that point of impact seemed to move nearly a 1/2 inch per click when it says 1/4. Then it dawned on me that I was sighting this in at 160 yds not 100. After a couple more shots I got it about where I wanted it but couldn't get a decent group as I was starting to shiver.

As the pic shows the last three shots are about the right hieght but due to my shivering are drifting left to right. All of the last five shots were within a 1/2 of where I wanted except the sixth where I'd flinched and sent it about an inch left.

So far the scope seams alright but time will tell after I take it out on the hunt a few times. I still need to get out and see how it does at different distances, but I'm not going to do it while I'm shivering.

~Thomas Jefferson