Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!

The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: Generators  (Read 5526 times)

Offline DDSBYDAY

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2012 MNO Fishing Challenge Champion
    • Advanced Tackle Innovations
  I'm doing a little research for the fish house and back up power.  The new Honda 2000i goes for about 1000$.  The Yamaha goes for around 850$.   Would you recommend buying new and is the Honda worth the extra money?  I see a kit that runs the Honda off a 6 gallon tank that allows it to run for days.  If I get one I want it reliable and long lasting.  Any personal recommendations and experiences would be appreciated.   :scratch:
Pai Mei tells the Godfather when it's time to tell Wayne  to pimp slap Eastwood.

Offline The General

• MNO Staff
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • Smackdown King
I and everyone I know has the Honda 2000.  I've never had a problem, but for 150 bucks less I wouldn't hesitate to get the Yamaha.  I've heard nothing but good things about either of them.  Usually I see them both priced at $950 and then at fleet farm you get an in store gift card or something like that with the Honda for 50 or $100.  Don't stray from these two brands though.  I'm also guessing honda is easier to find parts or accessories (probably at a gas station) but I've never needed any.
Eastwood v. Wayne Challenge Winner 2011

The Boogie Man may check his closet for John Wayne but John Wayne checks under his bed for Clint Eastwood

Offline Boar

• Master Outdoorsman
  • VP of Entertainment!
dont think you can go wrong with yamy but most of us have the honda 2000ui. love it best outthere. but if you wait till march, tool crib puts them on sale about 899. id spend the extra money on the honda over yamy. ive heard multiple bad things about the extra tank, some work great and some wrok bad. for 8 hrs run time i get on the genny tank, ive no propblem refilling. honda slo makes a add on winter kit to help stop condensation from building and freezing up air intake, for 150 bucks. right General? ;) but i just keep it off the ice and in the bed of my truck outa snow and wind.
2019 GRAND MASTER BUCK CHAMPION!!
2021 ICE FISHING MASTER CHAMPION
78.50"

Offline The General

• MNO Staff
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • Smackdown King
If you can find a used one I'd be surprised if it wasn't stolen.  Used 1000s yes.....2000s not so much or they want new price for them anyway.  If you do go Yamaha get the camo one it looks cooler ;)

I just did a quick clist search and a store in Delano has the Yamaha for $829.  Not sure if the new Hondas have a fuel gauge but that would be nice.
« Last Edit: January 01/18/16, 06:38:39 PM by The General »
Eastwood v. Wayne Challenge Winner 2011

The Boogie Man may check his closet for John Wayne but John Wayne checks under his bed for Clint Eastwood

Offline corny13

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2012 ROCKBASS CHAMPION 2014
I think for the Yahama generators you need to get a kit with a internal pump for extended run tanks vs the gravity run Honda generators.  Which run around $300.   http://www.pinellaspowerproducts.com/products/3/products-for-yamaha-generators     But with this put in would prob be a better generator exp if you upgrade to a 2400 instead of a 2000.  Still light weight enough to haul in your truck with more power. 

Offline Onin24Eagle

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
I've got the Honda 2000i and love it.  I've got a buddy that just bought one off of craigslist for $600.  It had some external damage (okay, maybe a lot of external damage) but he ordered some new feet for the bottom and a front cover for $50.  Looked like it had fallen out of the back of a moving truck or something.  The guy he got it from was an older farmer.  He got lucky in that the thing runs great and now looks brand new again but I should probably mention that it took several months of scouring ads for used Hondas before he found that one.  A good deal on a used one is hard to come by. 

You could buy a new one, use up the 3 year warranty and then sell it for $75 less than you paid for it new, then turn around and kick $75 for another new one with a full warranty.  They do not seem decrease in value.  Check ebay if you don't believe me.  There's Honda 2000i's on there that look like they've been through the ringer more than once and they're still getting $750 - $800 for them.

One thing I've noticed with mine, not sure if other's have had this issue, is that if it's really cold you could pull on the rope all day and the thing won't start.  However if you choke it and give it about 7-10 pulls then walk away for 2 minutes it will fire on the first pull when you come back.  The other thing that works is to just put it on the floor in the back seat of your truck so it's warm when you get to your destination.  No problems at all when its warmed up.
2011 MNO Deer Hunting Challenge Champion

Offline cookie

• Master Outdoorsman
I think every small engine has its quirks and the operator  has it dialed in from years of use. I was so happy with my old eu2000 I purchased a new one two weeks ago and have had nothing but cold weather problems with it. Never had any issues with the first one that's why I pulled the trigger on another. My old one always has to be choked and will normally fire after one or two pulls. great units I always try and have them somewhat warm when starting as I think if there super cold it could damage rings ?
Cookie's on Upper Red Lake
e-mail: cookie16@paulbunyan.net

Offline DDSBYDAY

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2012 MNO Fishing Challenge Champion
    • Advanced Tackle Innovations
  That's a lot of really good information.  I'm glad I asked here.  I think because they do hold there value so well I will go new and watch to see if they go on sale in the spring.  I do like the idea of the tank expansion.   I wish they made some this size that ran on propane.
Pai Mei tells the Godfather when it's time to tell Wayne  to pimp slap Eastwood.

Offline Boar

• Master Outdoorsman
  • VP of Entertainment!
yeah they all have a quirk, my buddys starts cold on the first pull, my starts cold on the 8-10 pulls. also, when not using it scot, try to rember to run it preiodicaly, or run it out of gas to store it. after ice season, i forget about it for a few months and my jtop jet plugs and have had to have service done to clean it.
78.50"

Offline Retired on Osakis

• Master Outdoorsman

One thing I've noticed with mine, not sure if other's have had this issue, is that if it's really cold you could pull on the rope all day and the thing won't start.  However if you choke it and give it about 7-10 pulls then walk away for 2 minutes it will fire on the first pull when you come back.  The other thing that works is to just put it on the floor in the back seat of your truck so it's warm when you get to your destination.  No problems at all when its warmed up.

I have had this same problem with mine. I've had it in numerous times to get fixed but nothing has worked. Now when I want to use it I have to get it in someplace warm and leave it sit for about a half hour. Then it will start after 3 or 4 pulls. I'll have to try your way and see if mine will start.

Offline Fawkinnae

• Executive Director
  • Master Outdoorsman
    • Fawkinnae Sportsman's Club T-Shirts
We had trouble starting our Honda last weekend, brought it in and warmed it up and started immediately.
Fawkinnae Sportsman's Club T-Shirts
Unique fishing, hunting, drinking and motorcycle t-shirts, caps, bumper stickers and more.
http://www.fawkinnae.com/
Find me on Facebook - http://tinyurl.com/6k5tkvv

Offline Boar

• Master Outdoorsman
  • VP of Entertainment!
well the one thing I think of when it comes to these genny's is that cold weather use is gonna affect all smalle engines not matter how top of the line they are, I have a honda mower, I bet If I go out now and try and start it in this cold i'll have a similar problem till it warms up. these genny's were never ment to specifically in these conditions over and over for extended periods of time. you wont run into these problems like these in the summer. hard starting, maybe, some are just cold blodded, condensation,  pretty sure the engineers at honda were thinking of northern minnesota useage during the winter. these things became extreamly popular when the wheel houses flooded the market because of their portability and long run time. bet thing for these gennys is to treat them like any other small enging, starts better, keep it out of snow and wind, that just gose strat into the air intake. dont let it sit in a pool of melted snow by the house. I keep mine under my tano cover in the bed of my truck or place it in the corner of the bed and put a piec a plywood to block wind, havent had a problem since.
78.50"

Offline dew2

• Master Outdoorsman
 Dont know much about a Honda gen  2000 carb BUT In cold weather all small engines need more fuel for starts.Open the low speed jet 1/8 to 1/4 turn,Then if the plug gap says set to .25 open it to .30 for longer spark ignition of fuel.You could go to the next hotter plug also set 0.05 wider.
 One of you fellers should just try the wider gap on the plug and report yer findings. It may be a help and easy to do.
Keeping America clean and beautiful is a one mans job,Mine

Offline Boar

• Master Outdoorsman
  • VP of Entertainment!
that not a bad idear dew.
78.50"

Offline JohnWester

• Master Outdoorsman
  • Kabetogama, MN
i have the honda 2000, worth every penny.  now I also have the extar tank, with the upper red cap that goes on the generator. not sure if they still sell them, got it at the ice show many years ago.  then i bout a 6 gallon tank and some gas line. i paid $40 just for the cap. the cap is the key.  And yes it is totally worth having it. I set up the generator in the back of the truck. hook on the extra tank, and it will run for 3 days.  i don't have to worry about going out and filling and geting gas on my hands while fishing... don't have to worry about it running out at night. it is the best thing.
If a gun kills people then I can blame a pen for my misspells?

IBOT# 286 big_fish_guy

Offline cookie

• Master Outdoorsman
I bought The extra berg tank with cap last year. It was a nice addition. This year the stupid thing does not seem to work? I had the pleasure of meeting the owner of the company last weekend as he was out fishing. He took a look at it gave me a couple tips and we hooked it up on his 2000 for a minute and every thing seems fine? I have not tried it  again since I talked to him and plan on trying it again soon.  I would like to add another one to the fleet  but un tell I figure out what my problem is  I am going to hold off.
Cookie's on Upper Red Lake
e-mail: cookie16@paulbunyan.net