Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!

The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: Slushy mess  (Read 5964 times)

Offline get the net

• Outdoorsman
  • Melrose, MN
Made it out today after buying the new licenses, fishing, hunting, shelter, will buy the stamps later.  What a mess, no driving on the lake I was on.  At least a foot of slush off the beaten path.  Found tons of sunfish, 32 feet of water with a column of fish from 14 to 24 feet on the vexilar. Nothing bigger than 4 to a pound, beat sitting in front of the tv watching golf. Had one little run on some crappies, but in the end just a pleasant afternoon with some wet boots. 

Offline Woody

• Master Outdoorsman
Thanks for the report- get the net!  I did a lil traveling around Alexandria/Evansville this weekend and didn't see a single fisherman out!  I found it kind of odd actually.  And it got me thinking, will the lack of fishing pressure-wouldn't now be the ideal time to go?  Everything I saw was just as you described-slushy sloppy. Not much fun-but less crowd to worry about!

I did notice on some of the duck ponds in the area that the algae (I think that's what it is) is starting to show.  It's a greenish/tanish color slop.  So at least there the ducks and geese that are returning will be happy.  I've seen several flocks of geese overhead the last few days. 

I'd like to get out once more this season-but only time and weather will tell!  ;)
The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not. ~Thomas Jefferson

Got Freedom? Thank a Vet!!!
www.fawkinnae.com
www.atijigs.com

Offline jkjkoda

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
  • Are we hunting or fishing today?
fished guerney on sunday lots of  small sunnies crappies were between 9 to 11 inches nothing great lots of bass caught largest 17 inches also caught a few pike largest 26 inches.  BEWARE of the public access very bad ice river flows just off to the left of this access dumps out right in front of access BE VERY CAREFULL GOING OUT FROM THERE!!!! ;)
« Last Edit: March 03/13/07, 10:33:16 PM by jkjkoda »
Are we hunting or fishing today?

Offline get the net

• Outdoorsman
  • Melrose, MN
I am hoping to get out a couple more times, when the slush melts off and its a little easier to get a around.  I have a few spots to check yet, but traditionally have done very well on a few area lakes from now until it just gets to dangerous to walk out there.

Offline Spinach

• Outdoorsman
  • Woodbury Mn
Does Gurney still have the 5 fish Crappie limit? I used to fish there a lot about 15 years ago.
MNO Fishing Reports
Voted #1 Outdoors Website in MN
Support MNO Sponsors
AKA "Spinach"

Offline get the net

• Outdoorsman
  • Melrose, MN
I think your thinking of Long Bridge, (little Sauk)  It is not to far from Guerny, just a wide spot in the Sauk River.  It has the 5 and 5 limit on it.  Crappies and gills.  Very good size on this lake, I believe because of the special regs.  Back in the hey day, over 10 years ago, it was nothing to get limits of 1/2 lb plus gills and crappies over 3/4 lb average.  But small lake and over fishing brought that to an end.  Now with the new regs it is starting to make a come back.  Real line stretchers when yoiiu find them.  Lots of fun when you find them.

Offline Spinach

• Outdoorsman
  • Woodbury Mn
I fished Long Bridge a lot too, I just thought that Guerney had the same regs.

Thanks.
MNO Fishing Reports
Voted #1 Outdoors Website in MN
Support MNO Sponsors
AKA "Spinach"

Offline get the net

• Outdoorsman
  • Melrose, MN
Ya know, I am not really sure now that you mention it.  Guerney could have them also.  Maybe Sunday afternoon I will check it out.