Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!

The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: Good or Bad  (Read 774 times)

Offline Bush_84

• Outdoorsman
I planted some brassica plots this year.  I planted one earlier in July and the other later in July. I’m assuming it’s because it’s a combination of better sun and earlier planted but my radish and turnips got huge. I’m hoping my picture came through. It just shows how big my radish got. I’m honestly only getting minimal interest at this point. I blame being surrounded by fields. Next year will try to mix in beans and peas. Anyways my question is the radish better bigger or smaller?  I feel like there’s a point where bigger is not better and won’t taste as good. Thoughts?

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
a monster radish!!   how did it taste???  have eaten them a few years ago...   they were good!!   but not that big!!!  good luck!!!

also I think once the deer find it that will get better too... 
a bad day of fishing is still better than a good day at work!!

Offline Bush_84

• Outdoorsman
a monster radish!!   how did it taste???  have eaten them a few years ago...   they were good!!   but not that big!!!  good luck!!!

also I think once the deer find it that will get better too...

Never did try it. I gave that one to a coworker and haven’t followed up with him. I gave some turnips to my mom and she did say that the smaller turnips were better.

Just trying to figure out if the deer care. If they don’t then bigger is better.

Online deadeye

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Glad your turnips and radishes turned out fine. Mine were a total failure due to no rain. Planted in mid-July and the first rain was only half inch in mid-August. Replanted some areas with winter rye in mid-August and it again did not rain until mid-September. We got good rain in mid-September and some winter rye grew but only a few inches turnips sprouted.  :sad: Now the deer are keeping the winter rye mowed close to the ground.
***I started out with nothing, and I still have most of it.***

Offline Jerkbiat

• Master Outdoorsman
Those radishes look great. As the deer find over time they will be like crack to them. I wish we could get them to grow like that
Hey look your bobber is up!

Offline Bush_84

• Outdoorsman
If the consensus is bigger isn’t such an issue then I’ll plant all my plots early July.

I’m west of Alexandria and we got just enough rain in the right proportions to keep things moving along. The farmer at my dads however sprayed our plot and never could get the rye going in time to do much.

Online deadeye

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Notice any difference between 2022 and 2023. :sad:

This is 2022 turnips

This is 2023 turnips.
***I started out with nothing, and I still have most of it.***

Offline Bush_84

• Outdoorsman
Ya my above ground greenery was equally as impressive. Some of my kale got hip high on my 6’5” frame.