Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!

The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: A record carp haul on Spring Lake, near Prior Lake  (Read 5050 times)

Offline HD

• Administrator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • #1 Judge (Retired)
    • Minnesota Outdoorsman
A record carp haul on Spring Lake

Commercial fishermen cut a large hole in the ice on Spring Lake and pulled in an astounding 34,000 pounds (17 tons) of carp with their nets on Jan. 30.

While native fish were released again into the lake, the carp were taken out and prepped for market, some purchased by sellers as far away as North Carolina. Volunteers helped to sort the native fish from the carp, and some returned a couple of days later to count, weigh and haul out the carp on a large semi-truck.

This big carp haul was coordinated by the Prior Lake-Spring Lake Watershed District as part of its comprehensive plan to help reduce the carp population in Spring and Prior lakes. Carp stir up the bottom of the lakes and destroy native vegetation essential to native fish. Removing the carp is one of many tools the watershed district is using to improve the water quality of Spring Lake.

Last week’s seine on Spring Lake is the largest haul of carp the watershed district has on record, netting 2,575 carp. Rough estimates by WSB, the district’s contractor for the project, calculate that this could be as much as half of the carp population in the lake.

It's a big win for Spring Lake, but there's more work to do. The watershed district will have another seine event later this year and plans to install carp barriers at connecting stream locations to block them from their spawning grounds. The seine event was part of a comprehensive carp management program partially funded by a Clean Water Partnership grant.
Mama always said, If you ain't got noth'in nice to say, don't say noth'in at all!

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
  • "Seems like time is here and gone".....Doobie's
17 tons??!??!! That's a lotta smoked carp!!!!  :doah:

Online mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
canned carp like they used to do Iowa!!!!
a bad day of fishing is still better than a good day at work!!

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2015 deer contest champ!!!
That outta keep boar supplied with fish for a while!! :happy1: :happy1:
2015 deer slayer!!!!!!!!!!

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
He could assemble an entire singing chorus of "Roberts"....!  :rotflmao:

Offline snow1

• Master Outdoorsman
Shot plenty of carp over the years,folks fishing near us always took the fish or we take them to little siagon on university ave,these folks loved them,steak'em out and deep fry,not my deal but it was either that or buried in a deep hole.

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
Smoked carp are great..really! Smoked a lot of them myself, just the thing to wash down with a couple of cold ones.  :happy1:

Offline snow1

• Master Outdoorsman
Agreed,smoke carp,buffalo and suckers here too,I found that late summer into fall they were better as they tend to be more oily.Asian folks fried in tempera and shore fishermen from the chicago area love'em rolled in corn meal and deep fried.Must be a big market out east as this business booms every year around the state.

Now if only they can figure out how to rid our rivers of the silver and bighead carp...

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
There's a huge carp factory up by Wabasha (or Winona?)that came on river a couple years ago...they net 'em, and ship 'em out east. Big article in Big River magazine I get about it.

Offline snow1

• Master Outdoorsman
I seen video's of that operation on the outdoor channel,tough business in the winter.

Offline dew2

• Master Outdoorsman
There's a huge carp factory up by Wabasha (or Winona?)that came on river a couple years ago...they net 'em, and ship 'em out east. Big article in Big River magazine I get about it.
These guys MAYBE?? Watervillle??
 I went an watched this netting an got 3 free buffallo fish for smokin an da pan fer 1.
 Down on prairie Island when I was young I used to help pullin an reset the winter nets for the carp.We'd smoke 100's on 100's an sellll for 35 cents a llb
http://www.wctrib.com/news/local/4016336-where-buffalo-fish-swim-nets-follow
« Last Edit: February 02/09/17, 03:30:37 PM by dew2 »
Keeping America clean and beautiful is a one mans job,Mine

Online Leech~~

• Master Outdoorsman

Holy crap! That's a lot of Mrs Pauls fish sticks right there!  :clap:
Cooking over a open fire is all fun and games until someone losses a wiener!

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
Nope, Wabasha...I found it...excerpt:

Cate Bell and her husband Keith started K & C Fisheries in Wabasha, Minn., in early 2012 to process carp to ship overseas. She buys carp from local fishermen, but, she said, “There aren’t the quantity that there used to be.”

Online Leech~~

• Master Outdoorsman
Nope, Wabasha...I found it...excerpt:

Cate Bell and her husband Keith started K & C Fisheries in Wabasha, Minn., in early 2012 to process carp to ship overseas. She buys carp from local fishermen, but, she said, “There aren’t the quantity that there used to be.”

I'm just really happy to see some one cleaning them out of the lakes and using them. It's a Win-Win!   :happy1:
Cooking over a open fire is all fun and games until someone losses a wiener!

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
I would love to watch that process take place!!!!!!!

Offline dew2

• Master Outdoorsman
I would love to watch that process take place!!!!!!!
They should be out here this spring first ice out,They will be doing mullti lakes this year after the big take they had.I'lll try to remember to notify you.I will onlly get a 1 or 2 day notification of their starting,

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
Sounds cool. Just remember some off us still work are buttz off!

Offline dew2

• Master Outdoorsman
AH HAHaha must be tough on the fishin forums everyday workin yer buttz off ??Maybe thats why you smell as you do??

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
AH HAHaha must be tough on the fishin forums everyday workin yer buttz off ??Maybe thats why you smell as you do??

:laughroll: :laughroll: :laughroll:

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
I spent a couple of days watching some guys do the netting on the St. Croix years ago.  Interesting as heck.  I even let them ride on the tailgate of my new truck to help move them around.  One of them augered a hole and went right through.  I said how much ice is there?  He said no problem, 6".  I got back in my truck and got the hell out of there.

Online mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
a bad day of fishing is still better than a good day at work!!