Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!

The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: Sturgeon Fishing Report  (Read 4887 times)

Offline Mopad

• Outdoorsman
I went up to LOTW/Rainy River this weekend with my father and 2 other guys sturgeon fishing.  This was the first time for my father and I fishing for sturgeon.  The weather was pretty nice on Saturday and a little cold on Sunday.  I ended up catching the biggest sturgeon of the weekend.  It measured 44 inches.  What a fight!  These things are brutes!  I had 75lb braided line on my rod and the drag set very tight.  It only took 5 mins of reefing on this thing and I had it in the boat.  My arm was shot after hauling this thing in.  The fishing was alittle slow, but worth it.  It's amazing the power they have.  Here is a pic of the catch.

:rock: Mopad
If you can't make it good, at least make it look good. - Bill Gates

Offline UncleDave

• Master Outdoorsman
Nice fish!  Hitting the plate?  I've heard they are tasty, just never tried 'em or know any fellow fisherman who've tried them.

Offline Mopad

• Outdoorsman
This one was released.  I guess the fish needs to be 45-50 inches to keep or over 70.  I also heard if they are prepared correctly they are execlent to eat.

Mopad :rock:

Offline UncleDave

• Master Outdoorsman
Interesting lake sturgeon facts.

Note:  Even in the fish world, females drive males to shorter life spans.  Males can live on average just 55 years, while the chicks can live up to 150 years.  I feel their pain!

http://www.fws.gov/midwest/sturgeon/biology.htm

Offline Mopad

• Outdoorsman
Here is a video I took of a pickup in 4 mile bay and all of the people fishing for sturgeon.

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EXYkPYc8aM4[/youtube]

Offline Mr Harry

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
  I am surprised no one is posting any replies to your picture or the informative video.  With all the people we saw up there you would think someone that visits this site would have some type of reply!!

Offline rchaze60

• Master Outdoorsman
nice fish ....... yes they are good eating no bones .... I use to fish these brutes all the time in Oregon ................. They have one back there at the fish hatchery that is over 400 years old and over 15 ft long

Offline Mayfly

• Master Outdoorsman
    • MNO
So how does one go about fishing for sturgeon? I have my ideas but am not 100% sure. What can ya tell us??

Thanks! ;)

Offline guythathunts

• Master Outdoorsman
  • The brothers with my 2006 buck.
 ::dito ::dito ::dito I WANT TO TRY IT!!!  ::dito ::dito ::dito
Find a bird Duke... find a bird... ROOSTER!!! BANG! Bring it here boy. GOOD BOY DUKE, GOOD BOY!!!

Offline Mr Harry

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
  Its quiet simple, use some 50-75lb test line, tie a large hook on and put a gob of night crawlers on with a heavy weight attached.  We fished the Rainy River in the area of Sportsmans Lodge.  Put your line out then sit back in your seat and put your feet up and wait for a bite.

Offline guythathunts

• Master Outdoorsman
  • The brothers with my 2006 buck.
HOw deep of water do you look for? What kind of current?
Find a bird Duke... find a bird... ROOSTER!!! BANG! Bring it here boy. GOOD BOY DUKE, GOOD BOY!!!

Offline Mayfly

• Master Outdoorsman
    • MNO
  Its quiet simple, use some 50-75lb test line, tie a large hook on and put a gob of night crawlers on with a heavy weight attached.  We fished the Rainy River in the area of Sportsmans Lodge.  Put your line out then sit back in your seat and put your feet up and wait for a bite.

That is what I thought ;D

Offline Mr Harry

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
  We fished 24-27' of water.  I think there was a pretty good current!  You need a good anchor to hold you in place.  There was at least 100 boats fishing all along the river to four mile bay.  It was interesting because this was my first time fishing for sturgeon.