Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!

The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: BOAT MOTOR QUESTION  (Read 1644 times)

Offline finnpac

DOES ANYONE HAVE ANY IDEA WHY MY BOAT MOTOR STARTER STAYS ENGAGED WHEN I HOOK UP THE FRESHLY CHARGED BATERRY TO THE TERMINALS? POSSIBLY THE IGNITION SWITCH....THANKS

Offline jigglestick

• Master Outdoorsman
  • Ice house rentals on Lake Winnibigosh
    • www.campjigglestick.com
stays engaged as in the starter gear stays engaged with the flywheel gear and keeps turning the engine over as long as the battery is hooked up?
or..stays engaged as in the starter gear stays engaged with the flywheel gear after its running?
or the started gear stays engaged with the flywheel gear after attempting to start the motor?

1. if the starter gear engages the flywheel gear when you hook up the battery without touching the key, for some reason, ie. the starter is getting power when it shouldn't be. this could be a bad switch, or a stuck solenoid, or a hot wire crossed getting power it shouldnt, sending power to the solenoid.

2. and 3. the clearance between the starter gear and the flywheel gear is to tight.
it depends on the situatin you have as to whether you can change that or not.

I would also check the bendix on the starter.
bench test it to see if the gear extends when ower is supplied to it.
also see if it comes back after the power supply is removed.

good luck!
take a kid hunting and fishing!!

THWACK KILLS!!

Offline laker

• Outdoorsman
Finn: I'd say your motor isn't spinning fast enough. The bendix tends to hang up in the flywheel when that happens. Usually dissasembling the starter motor and cleaning it good, putting in new brushes (or if theyre nice and long, just freeing them up), and then lubing the bushings cures the situation. only other things it could be are either a gummy bendix drive (just clean it good with carb spray and then lube it) or loose battery cables.