Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!

The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: The Fear Of Missing  (Read 4978 times)

Offline MnArch

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
    • Minnesota Archery
The Fear of Missing

I had a guy come into the archery shop last year that had been out  bow hunting the night before.  I asked if he had seen anything.  He hesitated as he said, ?Well, I missed one.  And he was big.?  As the conversation went on the man mentioned that when he was at full draw with his 20 yard pin on the vitals of the monster buck, all he could think about was DON'T MISS!
   Every archer has nerves.  Every archer also has the power to control their nerves.  Negative reinforcement will most likely result in a bad shot.  The same applies to shooting a 3-D tournament or target shooting.  Have you ever had a bad practice session? Yes you have, because everyone does.  People are afraid of not achieving their personal expectations (The fear of missing).  The biggest difference between shooting poorly and turning it around is a positive visualization.  Instead of thinking, "I'm shooting terribly", think to yourself "I know I can hit this target, I do it all the time!".
   This directly relates to shooting at an animal.  If you can stay calm enough to know you will make the shot, you will hit exactly what you are aiming at.  Try imagining every shot hitting the bullseye the next time you practice.  You may be amazed at how well you shoot!   
 Happy Hunting!
Matt and Barry.
   If you have any questions feel free to call Matt or Barry Kargas at Minnesota Archery in Litchfield at (320) 693-2061.

« Last Edit: August 08/29/07, 04:23:02 PM by MnArch »
You're welcome at
Minnesota Archery
Litchfield,MN
(320) 693-2061

Offline hunterhunting

• Minnow
Great tip.... I myself find myself in that guys shoe when I started bow hutning but I've learned to control my nerves no matter how big the deer looks.

Offline tripnchip

• Master Outdoorsman
Very good advise not only for bow but for gun. Don't shoot at the target but a spot on the target and the smaller the pot the more accurate you will get.
 Thnks for reminding me MnArch.

Offline Grute Man

• Master Outdoorsman
  • White Bear Lake
MnArch, thats great advise.  Its totally true that positive energy is more productive.  And Trip, here's how I heard that one --  Big target, miss big.  Small target, miss small.

Everyone keep practicing and that will help confidence too.  Good luck to all.
Grute ::dancinred::
If ya don't know where ya are, go back to da beginnin.

Offline blazer

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
good tip thanks
Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.  -B. Franklin

Offline Realtree

• Master Outdoorsman
  • MNO Member #128
    • The "20" Rifle & Pistol Club and Straight River Archery Club
That is an excellent tip for everyone to think about, not just bow hunters. I had to do that after my first year out slug hunting in Southern MN. I would get so excited when a nice buck came by all I could think was "don't miss", but after using the positive reinforcements and telling myself "i hit this shot all the time" it was much easier to stay calm and i was much more accurate. Of course a couple of hunts under your belt always help to calm the nerves too, but after 18-20 years of deer hunting, i still use this technique. Thanks for the great tip MnArch!
The "20" Rifle & Pistol Club-Board Member
Straight River Archery Club-Board Member
Youth Archery Instructor
Archery enthusiast
Deer hunter
Coyote eradicator
Bow-fishing freshman