Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!

The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: Arm Slap  (Read 4839 times)

Offline tripnchip

• Master Outdoorsman
Grute man, I use a arm guard to hold clothing out of the way. I have been thinking about taking the bow in and having the draw length short end up a half inch. I don't think i'm twisting the bow when I shoot.

Offline Grute Man

• Master Outdoorsman
  • White Bear Lake
I rarely ever got arm slap with my old bow.  With this new one, it seems Im getting it about once each time I go out but its just barely touching my arm.  The arrow goes WAY off course.  Another thing I try is to turn my feet so Im standing more perpendicular to the target.

Getting your draw length adjusted might be a perfect idea because that might just be the ticket and they might also see something else that us common folk wouldn't think of.

Grute
If ya don't know where ya are, go back to da beginnin.

Offline IceChisel

Your elbow should point to the left, not down. Practice this without your bow. You are probably overdrawing, a common problem for compound shooters. Shortening your draw length should help but you may wish to try traditional equipment.

Offline tripnchip

• Master Outdoorsman
I have tryied turning my feet more, it helped but when setting on stand it is not always possible.
I had the bow shortened up 1/2" now and that seems to have done the trick. Was out shooting again today and never had a problem with slap.
I still have my old bear Kodiak and do try to shoot it once in awhile but my messed up body wont take it anymore.
 Thanks forthe info. Chisel.

Offline MnArch

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
    • Minnesota Archery
Chisel is right. Turning your elbow out can help. But I've found this may be difficult for some people, especially if they've got too much hand into the grip. Use a wrist sling, rotate your hand in such a manner that you are "pushing the grip" away from you. When done correctly, you should see the back of your bow hand,your fingers will relax, and your knuckles will angle away from the grip.The pressure point of the grip will be at the base of the thumb.This will allow most people to articulate their elbow outward more easily, and arc the forearm enough for clearance with all but the heaviest of clothing.
You're welcome at
Minnesota Archery
Litchfield,MN
(320) 693-2061