Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!

The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: STS (Shock Terminator System) - aka string dampener  (Read 6235 times)

Offline FlwdHunter

Hey Everyone ... first time post.  Love the information I'm gleaning out of this forum. 
I'm wondering if anyone has had any experience with an STS on their bow.  I purchased an STS for my Hoyt Trykon a couple of months ago and really loved the noise reduction and total elimination of arm slap from the string; however, I had been noticing some arrow whip after installing it.  I tried to paper-tune it the other day and was a bit distressed that I was cutting the paper several inches down.   I'm sure I had the STS properly installed (just barely making contact with the string), so I figured it must be the timing of my cams gone out of  sync for some reason.  When I brought it to a local Hoyt dealer for a diagnosis, his attention turned pretty quickly to the STS.  After he inspected the bow and found everything to be OK, at his suggestion I removed the STS and tried paper tuning it again and discovered the tearing had all but been eliminated.  He commented that since my 2006 Hoyt Trykon (in contrast to the 2007 Hoyt Vectrix which comes standard with a string dampening system) hadn't been 'engineered' to be used with a string dampening system, in my case anyway it consequently affected the flight of my arrows.  Has anyone else had any kind of experience with an after-market STS?  Did I just flush the $50 purchase price of an STS down the toilet?  Anybody have any comments or suggestions?

Offline MnArch

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
    • Minnesota Archery
In lots of cases the S.T.S. can be a gift from heaven.  If you were to ask most owners of one, they would probably say it was worth the investment.  But I have noticed on select bows that it can throw the arrow flight off.  My thought is that it may have something to do with nock travel.  The S.T.S. may be contacting the string, stopping the oscillation at a peak moment when the arrow can most likely be effected.  That is not to say that if your bow doesn't perform with an S.T.S. on it a pile a junk.......But some bows work better with it than others.

Question...is the offset on the S.T.S. bar angled up or down?
« Last Edit: September 09/13/07, 11:22:44 AM by MnArch »
You're welcome at
Minnesota Archery
Litchfield,MN
(320) 693-2061

Offline FlwdHunter

Thanks for responding, MNArch. 
Don't think for one minute that I've given up on it yet ... I really, really liked it ... it just affected arrow flight a little more than I was comfortable with and I was just looking for any suggestions from others who may have had the same experience.  The STS bar was angled up (as shown in their advertisements), but I'm going to experiment with it down tonight and see what happens.  I'm thinking that as you move toward the ends of the bow, the string doesn't travel quite as far.  I'm wondering if the STS stopped the string travel for the lower half of the bow prematurely while the upper part of the string continued at least a little past the strings resting point and this caused the nock release to snap the arrow down a little and cause a wobble for the first 10 or more yards.   I was getting about a 4 1/2 inch downward tear when paper-tuning no matter how I adjusted my nocking point or moved my rest.  4 1/2 inches is pretty bad!  The arrow would straighten out by the time I it reached the target and I could actually get a pretty tight group since the wobble was always consistent, but I'm sure I lost a lot in regard to performance.  What do you think ... will STS angle down work?