Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!

The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: first timer freezes on shot...  (Read 4854 times)

Offline psebow

• Outdoorsman
Okay, so I had 4 point come-up to my stand last Saturday...while everyone else went in, I stayed put!  sure enough 12:00 a 4 pt. buck came up over the hill and ran to my stand!  I was dumb founded.  It all happened so quickly.  I was calling and had a few scents around my stand and this buck was ready to "party" if you know what I mean.  It stood broad side at 10 yards for about 5 seconds.....by the time I realized what was happening and moved to get my bow into my hand...he was behind my tree and out of range.

How the hell do you get enough time to shoot?  This bow hunting stuff is hard!  Right when I thought I was doing everything right, I blew my chance.  If I had a gun, this deer was down...but I am committed to my bow.  Any advice...once it has passed my stand how do I get it back?  I tried a few doe calls when he was in distance but he took off.  Was that a bad idea?  Thanks
« Last Edit: November 11/09/07, 01:16:25 PM by psebow »

Offline Grute Man

• Master Outdoorsman
  • White Bear Lake
Im not some pro with tons of trophies on the wall but when I have a deer coming in, I try to draw back before they're even in my range.  That way there's less chance of being heard and when the moment does arise that you get that broad side shot, its just fine tuning your aim.  There have been more times than not that I've had to let the string back down softly because I can't hold it any longer but the way I see it, it's saving one step once the good shot is provided.
If ya don't know where ya are, go back to da beginnin.

Offline blazer

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
I usually sit with my bow in my lap when I am out in the stand.  It's less comfortable when sitting for long periods of time, but it is nice just to bring it up instead of trying to pull if off the hanger.  I myself would have used the doe call as well to try to get the deer to come back.  I had numerous deer walk out of range and sometimes a doe call can get them curious enough to come back.  In my opinion it never hurts to try throwing a few calls out there.  Welcome to the frustration of bowhunting. ::cheers::
Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.  -B. Franklin

Offline Grute Man

• Master Outdoorsman
  • White Bear Lake
I had 2 chances this weekend.  On my first chance, a doe was walking into range and I drew back early like I told you and she never blinked an eye.  Then to get more cozy I flipped my leg over the rail of my stand and she still never saw me.  When I shot, the bottom limb of my bow hit my leg and the arrow went WAY off course and she took off.   sad3.gif  I tried calling her back but it was a done deal.

On my 2nd chance, I didn't even know she was there until she was at 15 yards.  I drew bakc immediatly and she never noticed me.  She took 2 more steps and I made a kissing noise and she stopped.  Now she's in my freezer.   ;D

All this was from a ladder stand about 15' up so if you're up high enough and they're not looking at you then you can move freely but be scilent.

Hope this helps.
Grute
If ya don't know where ya are, go back to da beginnin.

Offline psebow

• Outdoorsman
Thanks!  I appreciate the advice.

Next time I am going to draw with confidence and take my chances. 

Offline tripnchip

• Master Outdoorsman
 Some times they will be there before you know what is happening and if they are not in the mood to hang around there is just nothing you can do about it. At times they come through the woods like they know exactly where they want to be and nothing is going to stop or slow them down. I to set with bow in hand but I have a sling to carry the wait and just the motion of lifting the bow releases the sling. Miss opertunities is just part of bow hunting. It doesn't always go like you see on tv or in vidios. It's them heart stopping moments that make bow hunting what it is, just plain fun and enjoyable. Don't let times like you had frustrate you because if you stick to bow hunting you are going to have meny more moments like that and they will all give you a lasting memory. Enjoy