Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!

The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: The Corn is out ...now What??  (Read 4358 times)

Offline clu__82

Well....the corn has finally come off of the private hunting acreage that I have been hunting this season ...I have been bow hunting it and so far in 3 times out I have seen 3 does ...no bucks ...but there is sign of bucks ...because I cleared a path to my blind ...and in that path there is a 4-4 1/2 inch long by 2- 21/2 inch wide track ...with huge spurs dug in on the back ...so here is my scenerio .

I am hunting 40 acres of private land .....it is surrounded by about 100 acres of corn starting on the East Southeast side and wining around to the West southeast side....the property is shaped like a "W" with two pieces of land jutting way out into the corn and then trailing back .........there is a railroad track to the north ...(that is where the property ends) and then beyond the tracks there is more rolling hills/wooded area .....to the West is a grass field that a neighbor owns ...and to the East is the landowners house .....soooooo I have a ground blind set up in the wooded area where reveins filter through ....and now I have a tree stand that I want to put up ...now are the deer going to stick to the wooded areas now that the corn is out ...or are they going to gorge on the corn right now ???? please let me know some tactics ..I have been bow hunting all season ...and next weekend is shotgun season ....I have never hunted deer like this before....I am used to the mountains ....I wish everyone good luck in their deer hunting ....

Thanks

Clu__82

Offline kenhuntin

• Master Outdoorsman
  • FISH CHAMP#1 2010#10 2009#4 2008 colapsed 2011
If you are after a big buck. Chances are he is nocturnal (unless he is looking for love)Your stand placement sounds good. About all can do on a piece of property that small is get in as quiet as you can and hunt where your scent is blowing away from where you think he is.
                 Good Luck

A gun owner is a citizen
Those without are subjects

Offline Grute Man

• Master Outdoorsman
  • White Bear Lake
If you can, set up the tree stand so you're on the back side of the tree.  So you would be facing the tree and out into your shooting lanes or the now open field if that's your "lane."  This way, you could be right on the edge of the field and not sticking out like a sore thumb.  You could easily do the same with the ground blind.   I'd find 2 spots and try them both and try not to move them too much then just see what new patterns the deer make now that the corn is down.

Good luck, shoot straight, and BE SAFE!! 

Grute  ::dancinred::
If ya don't know where ya are, go back to da beginnin.