Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!

The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: Late season hunting  (Read 6300 times)

Offline nbrosch36

This is my first year bow hunting and I'm thinking about going out next wedneday over thanksgiving break. But I'm just wondering what your guys experiences have been on late season hunts. I was out bowhunting before rifle season and saw 9 deer in two days but like usual when rifle opened they all disappeared. What are your takes on late season hunts do the deer start to pattern like early season?

Offline Mayfly

• Master Outdoorsman
    • MNO
Hunt, hunt and hunt even more! I plan on filling 2 tags by the end of the year. Any doe that is not being bred now will come back into estrous in a few weeks and you'll see them bucks moving again. Not that they aren't moving now but there are still good days ahead of us. Also if we get some snow that always make things a little more interesting. Fresh track make it easier to pattern the deer, especially if you want to fill a doe tag. Luckily I hunt in an area where there was not much gun pressure so things are pretty normal around here right now. But I would not let that discourage you. You aren't going to shoot or see a deer on your couch in front of the tv so get out there when you can!!

happy2.gif

Offline JohnWester

• Master Outdoorsman
  • Kabetogama, MN
i am going out sat... and probably the mornings I am off for thanksgiving too.
If a gun kills people then I can blame a pen for my misspells?

IBOT# 286 big_fish_guy

Offline Grute Man

• Master Outdoorsman
  • White Bear Lake
Yeah the deer will be back to being active again.  THey have to or they'll die.  One year the week between Christmas and New Years, I saw about 3 dozen deer.  None were running wild like they were in rut or anything but thats a lot to see in that time frame.  Bad part is that I think they saw me too.  :(
If ya don't know where ya are, go back to da beginnin.

Offline nbrosch36

thanks for the input guys im looking forward to gettin back out there over break... how bout this question... have any of you seen or bagged any nice bucks in the late season?

Offline Mayfly

• Master Outdoorsman
    • MNO
thanks for the input guys im looking forward to gettin back out there over break... how bout this question... have any of you seen or bagged any nice bucks in the late season?

Ask me that question in a few weeks........

Offline nbrosch36

will do mayfly

Offline Grute Man

• Master Outdoorsman
  • White Bear Lake

Ask me that question in a few weeks........

Add me to that list.  Believe me, if I get one, I'll post it here before I even put him in the freezer.   ::50cal::

Offline Mayfly

• Master Outdoorsman
    • MNO
I'm trying to find a few days that I can set everything else aside and focus on these deer. I have 4 deer that are shooters and are still alive and using the 20 that I hunt on. The pressure from the gun hunters here was basically non-existant. Think I am going to do about 3 hunts this Thurs-Sat. Hopefully I will learn something more about whats going on back there!

Offline MnArch

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
    • Minnesota Archery
Some of the best hunting I have ever had is late season when the deer start to yard up......I guess it helps to have a little snow on the ground...but none the less, DON'T EVER GIVE UP!
You're welcome at
Minnesota Archery
Litchfield,MN
(320) 693-2061

Offline Grute Man

• Master Outdoorsman
  • White Bear Lake
Well I get another chance tomorrow morning.  Im on a metro bow hunt.  I have all Fri Sat and Sun.

Is that considered late season?  Doesn't seem late.  I'll check back in with everyone tomorrow night.

Grute   :dancinred: