Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!

The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: Purchasing the right bow for you!  (Read 4194 times)

Offline MnArch

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
    • Minnesota Archery
I'm sure just about everybody reading this post has been or is in the position of purchasing a bow for hunting or target.  So with all the companies out there and all the choices an archer has, which is the right bow for you?

You have to break it down into a few specific points.  Lets look at the #1 motivator for most people. PRICE.  I know that not everyone can afford a thousand dollar bow.  I know that some people are more into archery than others and some people just want to get by.  But pay attention to all the bowlines when you want to buy a bow strictly based on price.  Sometimes you may find that another company may have a better bow for virtually the same cost.  Don't necessarily get hung up on a bows name because you may get tricked.  This brings me into my next point.....QUALITY. 

In todays archery world just about all the companies out there make a nice bow.  Most have 6061 Aircraft aluminum risors, quality essentrics, good limb materials and a lifetime warranty to back it.  But look at the little stuff like grips, strings, dampeners, cable slides, etc.  Does the bow you want have the quality features to back up the quality bow?

The next thing I think every archer should do is shoot the crap out of every bow that even tickles your interest. FEEL is the most important point in picking your new bow.  Does the bow feel good?  Does it meet the specifications for whatever archery event you plan on participating in?.....(Target or hunting)  Is there a bow for less money that has the same quality that shoots better?.......(Lots of times there is)  By shooting the bow you can check to see how consistent it is in comparison to other models with different brace heights, axle to axle length, and risor configurations. 

When you find that perfect bow make sure......and I mean MAKE SURE that the bow will be set up specifically for you by someone who is an experienced bow technician.  Just about every day I see a hack job bow setup come through the door.  Bow set-up is everything when it comes to consistency.  You need to make sure that whoever sets your bow up knows inside and out the right arrow spine for your bow and poundage, correct center shot for your rest, a comfortable poundage, what hand bow you should be shooting, and the right draw length for you when you are in good form (People can make an incorrect draw length look correct without a trained eye to catch it).  Most pro shops will set a bow that you purchase from them for FREE.  And pro shops usually know what the heck they are doing and have the resources to aid in making you a better shooter. 

I wish you all good luck in your hunt for the right bow. We owe it to the game we are in pursuit of to be as accurate and as swift as we can.  So choose wisely.  But most of all, have fun with this wonderful sport we are all so blessed to have.
Good luck hunting,

Matt Kargas
Minnesota Archery Inc.
You're welcome at
Minnesota Archery
Litchfield,MN
(320) 693-2061